Fabricated the ramp pins from 1/2" steel rod
You must be registered for see images attach

Drill and champher one end

90* bend on the other

In place

Yep, lanyard for that clip too. Can't put one on the rod. They have to be stowed.

Putting things into perspective. Frame is finally complete. Now it's time for wiring, brake lines, bed etc.................

toads250

Reaction score
thats a cool project ,I stumbled on this and now I watch with great excitement

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Mike, How much ground clearance do you have at the rear bumper? It looks really low. Like it would drag if you have to pull into a steep parking lot entrance.:dunno

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15" Russ. Yep, it'll scrape on occassion but it ain't any worse than the big toyhaulers, car haulers or boat haulers. If the entrance is too steep and you can't take it at an angle you don't pull in. Unload in the street if you have too.

Brrrrrrrr cold today, hard to get motivated..... in the 30's LOL

I did mount the brake controller and have drawn up the wiring harness. Spent the rest of the day playing with my dogs, surfing the net and playing on Pogo.com

Wiring diagram. I'm putting the trailer running lights and ground on their own fused circuit vs drawing on the trucks original harness. This gives me a courtesy switch for the tail lights without shutting off the headlights and takes the extra load off the factory headlight switch and wiring.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
27 days left to finish pack out and head to Elkhart area.

Good start on the wiring today. All joints are being soldered and shrink wrapped, all wiring will be protected with a plastic split loom and then taped up like a factory harness. Also using the correct color wire where I can.

For electrical and electronic soldering use Rosin core solder, acid core solder is corrosive.

Big mess of spaggetti

Brake sensor is wired

Blunt wire ends soldered in for future Chicken lights

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice project!!! Can't wait to see the end and it loaded up with a trailer and pulling one behind!!!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm BAAAAACK...... Time to get back to work.

Scored a nice Milemarker SI9500 winch off craigslist locally this morning.
Specs - rated for 9500 lbs and has 100' of 3/8" cable. Good match for dragging 4000 - 6000 lb trailers onto the bed without killing the winch.

This guy spent a lot of money on accessories too. Got the wireless remote, neoprene cover, some extra big honkin' hook, work lights and a 2" receiver mount too.

All for $400 :)

Time to get my butt back in the shop and get busy now.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took everything the guy had so carefully assembled apart to fit it to my application. Glad I did too. He said he had used it 3 times but I'd bet it wasn't on any hard pull. The welds that were on there looked like they used a 90 amp flux core welder and had no penetration. I was able to basicly knock the base completely apart with a 4 lb sledge and minor cutting of the welds. That would be ugly with a trailer half way up the ramp because gravity sugs.

Fabricated a new mount. winch is mounted curb side with easy access and close to the battery box. Cable will run under the sleeper to a pully and then come back down the center channel.

Mounted the winch.

Opened the cover to the solenoid. Several loose screws here and I need to re route the small wires for the remote as the way they were routed, occassional contact with the cable had chaffed them. Will push them through the grommets for the big cables when I finish wiring it up. One reason I took this picture is so I know which small wire goes where when I redo the small wiring properly.

Started work on the mounts for the center channel. They will be bolted to the frame crossmembers through exisiting holes. This design will keep the channel as low as possible down in the frame and I won't be welding on the frame crossmembers. You ain't supposed to weld on the crossmembers either.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Wow nice score on the winch. ;Sweet Mike do you have to carry a dolly wheel that slips on the bottom of the trailer jack to pull the trailer up on top of the truck? How do you hook the cable to the trailer? A special ball mount that you put the hook on or ????:dunno

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have to carry a dolly wheel that slips on the bottom of the trailer jack to pull the trailer up on top of the truck?
Yes.... carry spare wheels, gravel lots tear them up.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_757522_757522

How do you hook the cable to the trailer? A special ball mount that you put the hook on or ????
Yes.... Same ball stand that gets pinned to the center channel for transport also has a loop to hook the winch to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.