Tow and Haul RV transporter build

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice weather today.... 73F and raining hard. Have severe thunderstorm warnings, flash flood warnings and a tornado watch. Driveway and entrance to my back yard and shop gate are a little flooded.
You must be registered for see images attach

Worked on the rear bumpers cutting holes for the oval grommet style tail lights and back up lights. 4 lights in each bumper. 3 stop /turn / tail light and 2 reverse lamps, well beyond the minimum FMSCA requirements. Using this style light because they are well protected from damage playing with ramps or loading something or doing something stupid like backing into something.

Good measurements and layout is crucial for this type of lamp. Make the hole too big and they like to fall out. You want them tight but still easy to install and remove.

A milling machine would sure be nice but I don't have one and am too cheap to hire it out. Drilled 3 7/8" holes at the end of each cutout with a step drill. I like step drills but they really ain't supposed to be used on 1/4" steel.

Step drills sure make a nice clean hole and cut through steel fast. They are pricy but worth every penny.

Cut out holes with a cross cut carbide burr on a die grinder and my 4-1/2" electric grinder

Nice clean finished hole

Perfect fit

RedTruck

Reaction score
Slow progress today after I caught my welding stinger lead on fire and had to fix that.

Is that what you kids are calling it these days?! LOL

Great looking job. You're moving right along with this project. Thanks for the updates!

Paul

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some parts shopping today at Northern Tool and walked out a little poorer after getting more welding rod, new welding gloves, an inexpensive brake controller, a 7 pin RV plug for the truck, correct color wiring for a 7 pin plug so there is no guess work if it needs to be repaired later, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, a couple lights, Norton 1/4" grinding discs, a grade 8 7/8x4-1/2" pin for the stinger receiver and some 1/16" coated cable to make lanyards out of so I don't lose my pins and spring clips in snow, mud, storm drains & gravel when taking them out to set the truck up for loading and unloading.

Finally finished welding and grinding the drop frame section today. Wondered why it was using so much rod and taking so daygum long to weld it until I did the math.

There's nearly 50' of weld bead on this section. Glad that's over with.

New frame flange tacked into place.

New flanges welded up solid inside and out.

Grinding done !!!!!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now this might be a stupid question but here it goes any way how do you get the trailer onto the flat bed part of the truck

Only stupid if you don't ask and don't understand.

1. Line truck up with trailer leaving enough room for your ramps
  2. Pin tire ramps and center channel ramps to truck
  3. Place jack stand or wood block under trailer tounge
  4. Raise trailer tounge jack high enough to install wheel
  5. Lower tounge jack onto wheel
  6. Remove Jackstand or block and place ball stand into hitch
  7. Connect winch to ball stand and winch it onto bed
  8. Pin ball stand to center channel
  9. Strap down tires
  10. Put away ramps
  11. Extend stinger if needed
  12. Hook up to second trailer... full hook up just like towing with your pickup
  13. Boogie to delivery
  14. Reverse directions to unload
  15. Head back, get paid and do it again :D
Need 12' - 16' ramps because of the overhang on these trailers. Takes about 1 - 2 hrs to load and unload.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Can't wait to see a full shot of the truck to see how long it is, you can take panoramic pics on your camera right? :)

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on finishing up the rear bumpers/lightbars/ramp holders. This is a slightly complex assembly each made up of 11 pieces of steel so it's time consuming..... ETA to completion is 1 - 2 more days.

Finished cutting out holes for oval lights

This is how it will be set up each side

Making end cap for bumper

Test fit perfect

Pieces are tacked together. The 3/4" schedule 40 pipe is for the pin on ramp mounts. Center is cut down so the ramp slides into place and is easy to line up for the pin. 1" was left at each end of the cut out and a piece of 1/2" schedule 40 pipe is pressed into each end and welded, this pipe will also be used on the ramps. Pin size for the ramps is 1/2" diameter.

Ugggggg!!!! Still have 9 more of these gussets to cut out.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see a full shot of the truck to see how long it is, you can take panoramic pics on your camera right? :)

Won't be long....... till it's out of the shop that is.

Might be able too on my Olympus but not my Blackberry which is what I have used to take all of my pics of this build

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Pretty impressive work on the bumper lighting. Need to get a small mill table for your drill press. Then a couple end mills will cut those lights quicker/easier then grinding!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you

Yea it crossed my mind when I was at Harbor Freight the other day looking (read drooling) at the cross slide vises milling machines and end mills. For the few holes I am doing, the month I have to finish the truck and the tight build budget, I just can't justify it right now.

Some day I'm going to get a self feeding 3 in one machine. Been wanting one for years.

I have set a deadline to lease this truck on. I called my company to set up my annual safety school class in Wakarusa, IN on January 21st 2009. The truck needs to be done and road ready by January 19th 2009

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger