Torque Converter Removal

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well find the ear and stick your tounge in it. Then she will do anything you ask but stop calling her names...:eek::rotflmao:angel: What is your problem. Are the bolts to tight or can't find them. The idi converters have 4 bolts that holds the converter to the wheel. Remove them. Slide the trans back and drop it down to the ground. If your working on an E4OD be careful. They weigh 300 lbs. Nobody I know can bench presss those. Before you remove the bellhousing bolts remove the converter bolts. Then slip the converter back about 1/8 inch and it will spin freely from the flywheel.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find the bolts for some reason the night before and haven't tried since. Good news is I don't have a E4OD only a C6 so no 300lb converter. Currently the trans and engine are separated so if I have to can use a floor jack to hold the converter up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not really following your last post. The COMPLETE E4OD trans weighs 300 lbs. Not either the converter on either auto trans. Now if you engine is out of the truck I can't understand why the converter wont slide off the trans front shaft. Thats all they are to holding them inplace. thats and the flywheel... Be careful too when taking off the converter. The have a special depth they must fit into on the shaft. Its got a tab cut out of it for the converter to slip into..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the solid flywheel with a flex plate attached to it, then there are four holes to reach thru the flywheel to take the four nuts off the TC, nuts take a 1/2" socket.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really following your last post. The COMPLETE E4OD trans weighs 300 lbs. Not either the converter on either auto trans. Now if you engine is out of the truck I can't understand why the converter wont slide off the trans front shaft. Thats all they are to holding them inplace. thats and the flywheel... Be careful too when taking off the converter. The have a special depth they must fit into on the shaft. Its got a tab cut out of it for the converter to slip into..

This is why I shouldn't post before I have had enough coffee. I thought you meant the E4OD converter weighed 300lbs alone :eek:. I was having trouble getting the converter off the flywheel. I had it rotated into a position that I couldn't see or feel any bolts holing it to the flywheel so it was throwing me for a loop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk