tools diesels are bigger

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone besides me does this while changing oil filters but honestly I have been doing it since I was 16 ...so something like 27 years..

When you install the filter oil the seal well and spin it on "per instructions" be 3/4 or 1 turn past contact.

Now this is the good part....the seal takes a torsonal twist as the filter gets tightened.... imagine the seal if you will being stressed in one direction

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Now just crack it the opposite direction and counter that twist in the seal ////////////////// now when you remove the filter the seal will "release" that much easier. I have never had a leak from a filter but 99% of the time I can crank it off by hand!

Amsoil used to print that little ditty on their oil filters, to back it off 1/8 inch, for years, and you're right , it really does help.

Those jaw type wrenches are nice. It sure would be nice if someone still made good metal band filter wrenches, but they are all crap these days. Lisle used to make nice ones, but even those have got cheap. Last one I got the handle folded up

A while back, I don't know how I managed it because I'm not that strong and I never stick filters on tight, but somehow my fuel filter got on so tight it wouldn't come off and i ended up having to take the filter head off and stick it in a vice , and no filter, or band wrench would get it,finally had to skewer it and go caveman on the thing :backoff

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Now just crack it the opposite direction and counter that twist in the seal ////////////////// now when you remove the filter the seal will "release" that much easier. I have never had a leak from a filter but 99% of the time I can crank it off by hand!
You know that sounds good on paper... maybe I will give it a try....

craftsman makes a real nice filter wrench that i use everyday. it will go on to a 3/8 rachet or a 3/4 wrench. works real good for theses trucks.
Thanks for the thoughts... I just ordered 2 diff types.. one with handle, and one that is the band with rachet extension hole size...

As said before they can vibrate loose, but don't worry you will know it when it happens:rotflmao .
Thanks Russ... always looking out for us... LOL

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the IDI filter and the OBS PSD filter will interchange no?

I used the K&N filter and it had a built in nut on the bottom for a wrench.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
All my filter wrenches are made my Lisle and work fine I have some snap on specality wrenches and strap wrenches but the ole Lisle works every time. I put a small amount of clean oil on the seal and sung it up with the wrench no He man stuff just sugg it and they come off fine.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Yes the IDI and PSD filter will interchange that is all we use now is the PSD filter. If you have an IDI with mushy mounts on the engine and tranny it can cause the motor to move alittle an the bigger filter will not go on as it will rub the frame. But if the mount are in good shape then it should work fine.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amsoil used to print that little ditty on their oil filters, to back it off 1/8 inch, for years, and you're right , it really does help.

Ya, I was told that by a machinist / mechanic who's shop I worked in for "work experience" in school. :D

It was also the time I had an Amsoil dealership....love their stuff I do!...;Sweet

:yell: Time to start thinking bout doing that again...;Really

Seriously though it sure makes life simple to remove them thar filters:thumbsup:

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
channel-lok makes filter pliers i own the full set they are better than any other filter wrench i have ever encountered. i am also lazy on every vehicle i own i have put an oil filter relocation kit so no laying on the ground and fighting with a filter i also have a fram drain tube for my drain plug i can do an oil change on mine in about 15min without even getting dirty

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I can relate to!! lol

marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin