Took my truck to the stock pulls (with video)

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished 3rd...from last place (198 feet) ;Really Had a lot of fun watching peoples faces down in the pits when they couldn't figure out what engine I had. I was the only IDI there and 1 of 3 trucks that actually drove in. To call the pull a stock pull is :bs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo1ANhFbmFw The video is blurry but im working on getting a better one.

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Dude, that looks to take a huge strain on a truck. I would say anything that isn't up to ***** would break doing that. Don't ya just love throwing people for a loop with our ol' IDI motors?LOL

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't ya just love throwing people for a loop with our ol' IDI motors?LOL

I had one young guy (urban cowboy type) come up and look at the engine, he studied it for a bit, then looks at me and says "Ive never seen a powerstroke like this before" :rotflmao I was nice and just told him this truck was around before powerstroke's were even made.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do that with my truck but because you can see the u-joints on the diff I would have to put shilds on the.

What were you seeing for EGTs?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
That's great thanks for sharing! :love::love::D

I figured the average IDI would rip the tongue right off the sled. You must have put a brick under the petal haha LOL

Your truck really seemed to chug right along. Not bad at all ;Sweet

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were you seeing for EGTs?

I actually haven't installed my pyro yet so i don't know, reports from the stands said i wasn't even blowing black smoke till the very end and then it was just a little. But i don't really know what my EGT's were.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If id know i wasn't gonna be able to spin my wheels at all then I would have tried 1st gear instead of 2nd. I ran out of power long before I ran out of traction. Something for next year i guess.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool!;Sweet Thanks for posting the video. I too am curious as to the EGT's. I bet they got a little toasty eh?:D I bet you were the only non-turbo'ed diesel there for sure.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice smooth run. The announcer was also very nice and not condensending. You didn't hop at all, and you didn't break! That's an A+ run in my book. Did you shift at all, and were you pulling in 4 lo or hi? If you had to do it over again, what would you change? Thanks for the vid! Last year at Carlisle, I had some kid guessing what engine I had and he through everything he could think of at me. I finally just said "Son, your not old enough to know what this engine is." LOL

I think this year, I'm going to take a potatoe chip, and encapsulate it in a block of clear resin, and have a wire with a plug coming out of it, that I can connect to an unused plug under the hood, and then sit it somewhere technical looking, so when they ask what chip is in it, I can just reach in and unplug it and show it to them. LOL

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
haha, good one mel, i had a guy ask me at the lima show if i had a tuner on mine. i asked him where i would plug it in at. he looked for 5 mins under my dash and came out with the harness for the clutch switch. i shook my head.

good pull, i always wanted to pull mine, but to afraid of rear axle hop. i get alot.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice smooth run. The announcer was also very nice and not condensending. You didn't hop at all, and you didn't break! That's an A+ run in my book. Did you shift at all, and were you pulling in 4 lo or hi? If you had to do it over again, what would you change? Thanks for the vid! Last year at Carlisle, I had some kid guessing what engine I had and he through everything he could think of at me. I finally just said "Son, your not old enough to know what this engine is." LOL

I think this year, I'm going to take a potatoe chip, and encapsulate it in a block of clear resin, and have a wire with a plug coming out of it, that I can connect to an unused plug under the hood, and then sit it somewhere technical looking, so when they ask what chip is in it, I can just reach in and unplug it and show it to them. LOL

Yeah the announcer was a real good guy. I had it in 4lo 2nd gear, I choose this because it put me right around 20mph against the governor. I was kinda thinking i was gonna be able to break my wheels loose and get them spinning but i guess i over estimated the power of a stock IDI :D About 1/2 way down the track i debated dropping it into first but with how much torque was on it and being an all original E4OD i figured i would be nice to it. Next year im gonna try 4lo 1st gear, sense I was no where near running out of traction im just gonna try and crawl down the track. If you look closely (which is hard cause of the video quality) you can see it pulled the back of my truck down hard so i got a ways to go before i run out of traction. Also i might have to copy your chip idea ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i gave your vid a "thumbs up" on YT.;Sweet
at the least, you have the balls and the courage to face the hecklers;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
i learned the lesson years ago in drag racing, "street stock" is nothing more than a joke. I did learn how to keep my few mods well hidden from tech.

if anyone else knows where the link for the other f250 that had a runaway motor during it's pull, please post the link. i've misplaced the bookmark for it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
if anyone else knows where the link for the other f250 that had a runaway motor during it's pull, please post the link. i've misplaced the bookmark for it.

I would love to see this! Soemthing that isn't on the internet a lot is a run away diesel.....IDI or not.

:hail Mel, make me one extra "chip". I would LOVE to have one of them to harass the ricers and tuners alike around here.

Finished 3rd...from last place (198 feet) ;Really Had a lot of fun watching peoples faces down in the pits when they couldn't figure out what engine I had. I was the only IDI there and 1 of 3 trucks that actually drove in. To call the pull a stock pull is :bs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo1ANhFbmFw The video is blurry but im working on getting a better one.

That is pretty kick ass stuff!! I want to enter my truck in the South Shore Exhibition under stock diesel. I would need to install my big, mud lugged winter tires before hand. Are you classed by weight, or anything else?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online