Took a look at a '02 F350 dually......some questions

stangclassic66

1986 Ford F-250 6.9
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I took a look at an '02 F350 dually diesel yesterday and i've got some questions.

I specifically asked for the engine to be cold when I came to look at it and here is what I found in 40 degree weather. On the '02, there is no longer a "wait to start" light but more of a coil light, I assume this is the glow plug light. Different than what i've seen. ok. Next when cranking the engine the tachometer did not climb or move as I was cranking it over. It took about 5 good seconds of cranking to fire up. When it did it went to high idle and sounded good. Went to the exhaust to look for smoke, zero. Removed the oil filler cap and there was slight smoke emitting from the fill hole. Not excessive but light. Truck has 92,000 miles on it.

Took the truck for a test drive and it was very responsive from the touch of the pedal. Lots of low end grunt, I assume this is from the tall rear gears that duallies supposedly have. I also asked my dad to watch from behind as I took off from a stop. No smoke.

What do you guys think?

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Welcome to OB!

Have the dealer run an OASIS report for you so you can see what "dealer" performed services have been done to it.

Is it an Auto or Manual tranny, check the tranny fluid and make sure it's not burnt or smells burnt/bad.

Also make sure you crawl up under and over it and using a good strong flashlight look for any signs of leakage especially around the turbo and back of the motor.

Just out of curiosity what's the asking price??

John

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the light became a dinging sound, once it stops dinging, have at it.

the rpms dont read untill the trucks fired, that is normal.

i wish i had a way to send you an oasis report, i could mail it to you if you gave me the vin, if you where intersted in seeing it

the duallies typically came with 4.10s and 4.30s

92k is right when they are prime so condier yourself lucky

like jharvey said, check for leaks, the main problem i see with these trucks is oil leaks. but bottom line these are strong trucks

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The "longer" cranking is nermal for the PSD's....price to pay for the 'pooter controls LOL

Yup, most common leaks are at the back of the engine--turbo/pedistal mount to be specific.

92k mi......not even broke in ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeahbutt........... unless the SD's are different than the OBS, you ought to be seeing RPM's when cranking.