Too big?

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Today I got what I think is an okay price on some Toyo Open Country M/T's. I didn't buy them because they are big. They are 295/70R17. My math has that at 33 1/4" tall. Is that too tall for a stock height Dodge? A levelling kit is absolutely out of the question, and I can't afford a lift so if they don't fit, they won't fit.

I think maybe my money would be better spent on some transmission upgrades. Or my income tax bill. But these tiny BFG Rugged Trails are ridiculous and they need to go as soon as possible. 265's are too small.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theyll fit just fine
we put 305's on em all the time with no problems....you can fit a 35 on a stock ride height dodge

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Is that on stock wheels?

The tire man told me Toyo was going to make an M/T in a 285/70R17 as well, by the way. As far as I know the 295's are as small as they come for a 17" wheel.

I think I better save up some cash for a torque converter too. What I thought was tires spinning on wet pavement may have been transmission slip, and bigger tires aren't going to help that at all. Why does this hobby have to be so expensive?

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a few people with 305's, they only rub if you have to crank the wheel really hard, other then that they run fine.

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
The Dodge dealer in the town I'm working in has an '05 with a Revtek levelling kit. 2" I think. That's the second one I've seen, and usually I hate the nose-in-the-air look levelling kits give, but this one still looks good. Turns out they sell them there, $245. I've spent that much in worse places.

The one at the dealer had 285/70R17 BFG MTs and there was lots of wheelwell left. The other one I saw had 35x12.50 BFG MTs.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PADIESEL said:
I run 35 x 12.5 x 17 on my truck stock wheels only alittle rub.....
;Sweet

Which equals a 315/70R17...which I had on my 2500 for several thousand miles without issues...and that was on the factory aluminum wheels which are a 17x9ish rim.

steved

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
An update for anyone who's interested.

The dealer here in Barrhead is sellng these tires for $315 a piece. Unfortunately, he has none in stock, and since my truck is not here with me, I would have to carry them in my work truck. Which I can't. I think I've only got room for them two at a time. So that won't work.

I tried the dealer at home. He wasn't able to give me as good a price. I forget what his retail price was, something over $500 a pop, but he'd normally sell them for $425. He said he'd see if he could find some and try to give me a competitive price (in the neighborhood of $350, which isn't unreasonable). However, there aren't any in any Tirecraft store or Toyo's warehouse, and won't be for 10-12 weeks. So that's out too.

On the plus side, I still should be able to go with Goodyear MTRs or the more agressive Cooper tire (STTs, I think?) in a 285/70/17. I would expect those to be up around $350 each as well. They still look good, and I won't need fender flares or a levelling kit. Even with everyone's reassurance, I'm a little leery of stuffing a tire up into the fenderwell and expecting it to not hit anything.

So that's that. I think those prices are in line with what they should be for tires that size, though I would like to know if I'm wrong.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:eek: Killer, I had to see where you live after those prices you posted ;Really
You are in Saskatchewan{sp}........?
Mebee a trip across the border is in order :Sly

I had 4- 10 ply 305-75-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers installed out the door for under $750 US and they are on stock 7in wide rims.
I know you have a Dodge and they come with more fender room than my OBS Ford so there shouldn't be any rubbing issues ;Sweet

couple pics .......
attachment.php

attachment.php

add on edit.....I see you have 17's........DOH! they are 'spensive :eek:

Last edited:

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
geonc said:
:eek: Killer, I had to see where you live after those prices you posted ;Really
You are in Saskatchewan{sp}........?
Mebee a trip across the border is in order

I figured those would grab some American attention.

The new 4 Wheel & Off Road has an ad from National Tire & Wheel that lists a Goodyear MTR 285/70R17 at $249 each. I don't know what the exchange rate is, but if it's $0.85 then the tires cost $292 before shipping, mounting or balancing. Any tire price I've given above includes mounting and balancing, and depending on the dealer, free tire rotations. It might still be a deal to look south, but the gap isn't as wide as it seems.

Plus, I have very narrow and unpredictable windows where I get to see my truck, so the quicker I can get them on the better.

I should send the pictures of your truck my dad's way. He's got a '97 supercab shortbox, and it's had vomit-inducing 235/85R16s on it since it was new. Nice height, but entirely too skinny.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
killer said:
I should send the pictures of your truck my dad's way. He's got a '97 supercab shortbox, and it's had vomit-inducing 235/85R16s on it since it was new. Nice height, but entirely too skinny.

"vomit- inducing" :eek: ........ :rotflmao :D LOL

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
305/70R17s fit. No rub, I can crank the wheel, stuff the tire into the fender and everything's golden. Mileage is in the tank though, and it sure feels gutless now. At least it looks better.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

So that should confirm what pretty much everyone knew already.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your getting the same mileage...what alot of people dont think about is this...your turning a tire lets say for instance....200 revs per mile....now you get a bigger tire, it only takes 160 revs per mile. so, your not reading actual mileage anymore so you cant calculate mpg by your odometer. i've run trucks that came stock with 235/75/15 and lifted them and run 33's, with only a REAL 2mpg drop..and thats due to about 200lbs added unsprung weight at the wheels. i can bet you your mileage hasnt changed but maybe 1-2 mpg.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and if those are MTR's...i hope your saving for new tires in the next 20k miles. i hac them on my 01 ram and they lasted 12k miles...they were half tread and luckily i worked at a goodyear dealer..so i got them warrantied and put on mastercraft courser at's...i put 30k on them and their still on the truck after i sold it over a year ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online