Tons of Sterling 10.25 Problems

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sterlings are easy enough to find but I cant even find a 1 ton being parted out. Theres some E350s available but I don't know if I could use those front axles.
E350s don't come with a D60 front from the factory, every single one of those is a conversion job of some sort or another. Some people have successfully used E350 rear axles under their F-series trucks, IIRC the normal van-body (as opposed to boxes like U-haul's) vans have the axle perches 1/4" off (per side, so 1/2" total width difference) when compared to the trucks - the spring and shackle bushings can usually take that misalignment, but measure just to be sure.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A D50 is a TTB with leaf springs, right? Or is their another difference?
There is a D44HD that is also TTB with leaf springs. Take a tape measure and measure from the pivot bolt of each beam to say its lower ball joint, if both sides measure the same then you have a D50 front axle - the D44 has beams of unequal length IIRC, driver-side being somewhat longer than passenger side. Front GAWR from your door jamb sticker could also be a cue as to which axle you got. But AFAIK all OBS with a diesel should have D50s regardless of cab style, it was the bricks and older that only got the D50 if extended cab OR special order with one as a plow package or whatever.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I found a 87 and a 95 sterling both with 4.10s and limited slip. Does that mean they must be C5s? Or is there a different code for 4.10s and limited slip that has a different GVW? Also is there anything different between the two years?
Thanks everyone

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely C5 both of them if they're SRW axles, the only other option for a SRW Sterling with 4.10s and LSD would be B5 but IIRC that would be the light-duty semi-float (C-clip really) axle used on some small-block F250s.

The 95 is the axle with the stronger pinion splines, but don't let that be the deciding factor - compare mileage between the two, and what vehicle they are out of (for example F250 with a bed cap vs. F350 with a flat bed). Also the trucks they come out of, auto or manual transmission? What about yours, auto or manual?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said the "5" part comes from the 4.10 gears, if it has 4.10s and it's a Sterling axle its code will end in a "5".

The B/2, C/3, D/4, of F/5 depends on the type of axle - "B" or "2" is light duty stuff, "C" or "3" is your typical F250HD and F350 SRW rear, "D" or "4" is the 7400 lbs DRW axle for trucks with factory pickup boxes, and the "F" or "5" is the 8200 lbs (or was it just 8100, whatever) DRW axle for cab-chassis trucks.

How to tell a B/2 apart from a C/3, well look at its hubs - you know how yours stick good 3" out of the wheel face, that's your full-float hub used on all C/3, D/4, and F/5 axles. The B/2 axle has a flat hub there, nothing sticking out the wheel face, like a RWD passenger car (think Crown Vic) of a Ranger truck or Explorer SUV. If it has flat hubs you don't want if it's got huge hubs sticking way out and it's a SRW axle and it's got 4.10s and a limited slip there's pretty much nothing else it can be but a C5 axle.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok everyone, I think I found it. Its a 95 350 axle with 4.10 and LS. The only thing is I don't know how many miles is on it and neither does the seller. Il be receiving some pictures of it soon that I can post here to get everyone's opinion. Thanks to everyone again. You guys know your axles.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yeah, if you want something that was a very limited production factory option, or was never an option to begin with, you gotta learn things :D We're rocking "D9" code axles, technically speaking that would be "D9x" cause the front also has a factory (for an Econoline at least) LSD now (thanks PwrSmoker!) - not quite as involves as full-on ARB or OX setup, but lots more affordable.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyway of making sure its a 95 axle im getting? the tags say its what I need but how do I tell it really is a 95 that im buying?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351