To Twin or not to Twin?

Cppr Busa

Reaction score
Hey everybody, my buddy has a 2004.5 Cummins cc lb dually, he currently has exhaust. He was talking about getting a juice with attitude, then I tried persuading him into a better setup. I said how about a set of towing twins from piers, and a fuel adder like tst or dtt(I don't follow dodges much) I also told him he would need at least a torque converter and probably a valve body and shift kit. So what do you guys think? Is that a good setup? Would he also need head studs? Or anything else? Gauges are a given and he wants to get a afe stage 2. How much would a set up like this cost? I said I would think it could be had for around 10k?? Well, let me know what you think. Jim

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll tell you what i think...from my personal experiance as a dodge mechanic....the tst box has no fuel managment system..unless he stacks it with an adge box...as for his auto..he'll waste it..it WILL NOT HOLD UP!!!!!!!! i've seen time and time again...with the new gen 5.9 they cannot take the mods the old ones could...melted injector tips, melted pistons, blown head gaskets etc...and these were just trucks with tst boxes..no other mods.

Whit

Reaction score
dont forget bout the intercooler too, the new ones have plastic bulkheads and they wont hold after like 50 psi if I remember right

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is also correct. if i were him..and he wants to mod a diesel alot and have it hold up...get a 24 valve with a 6 spd. and it will still take..clutch/comp box/ injectors/ exhaust/ gauges/ fuel system/ preferably an aftermarket injector pump..i seen one from buda power sp*...it was sick!!! it also ran 1/4 in abouts 8.5 seconds too..4x4 and all.
cheaper route..get a 12 valver/cam plate/j-hook/gauges/clutch...and run the **** out of it. i wouldnt mess with these new cummins too much..theyre being made to theyre pinacle of performance right out of the factory. everything done to them usually ends up costing somebody alot of money. you could get away with just 80hp injectors...or just an edge box...but stay away from the tst..unless its stacked with an edge box....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online