Title and Registration for a Modified F-150.....How Hard Does it HAVE to BE????

MasterM00SE

Son of Mel
Reaction score
Come On now, this should be a painless task, getting the NightMoose titled in my name is the only thing left before it can get a plate, sticker, etc. Unfortunately, this is the only phase of which I am not responsible for the process time. Brimmers, the place that offers the service of taking care of such paper-work required, has got to offer the WORST customer service I have ever encounted, besides this one Friendly's I ate at once....but staying on topic, I go in on Friday to submit my paper work, the form 426b for a modified vehicle, and the lady behind the counter takes one look at it, says "all these feilds should have been filled out by the inspector of the vehicle and 'he should have known that'," and she sent me on my way. I get home, relate this story to my father who promptly responds with "What? That's Bullsh.." all the information that needs filled in is already on the paper, all she had to do was spend 15min. and use a calculator to fill all the blanks in. Stupid Me, why hadn't I inquired further.....I'm gonna blame it on inexperience. So we fill in all the blanks and head up there again this morning (Sat.) had the same lady the paper work, she says alright, everything looks good, I need to see ID and Insurance. Mom and I promptly explain that there is no insurance untill we get a title for it, which is why we were there, and I get my permit out of my wallet. I had it to her and she says "I'm afraid I can't accept this, it has to be a photo ID." I said but this is my state-issued ID, my permit, this is what you asked for." She continued to say that she couldn't accept it because it wasn't a photo ID. I grab my school ID card out of my wallet and hand it to her. She says that that won't work because it's not a State issued ID and that they (the state) changed the rules regarding those ID cards last year. What a STUPID idea, to hand out ID cards that can't even do anything. How is it acceptable to the police officer but not to the state? That officer didn't know if I was who I said I was anymore than that lady at Brimmers, I explained that I was three days away from going for my license, and she concluded with "I'm sorry, I guess we'll just have to wait for another three days." I blame the state more that brimmers this time around but how stupid is that, that a minor, with a permit, can't even get a vehicle titled because the state didn't give him a photo of himself. I guess I have to pass that drivers test now, otherwise my whole project will be postponed.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Gotta love the DMV and anything title/insurance wise, huh???

Dont get discouraged...Its worth it, big time.
I dont know what kind of high-school you go to (preppy, country, city, etc) but you'll have THE coolest vehicle in the parking lot.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of us nicknamed our guv entity here, DumbVee. And it sounds like the woman at Brimmers is a former guv employee.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
matthais-
patience. this is nothing compared to what's ahead of you in college.
bureaucracy.....you can't fight it, but if you patient and keep bugging them gently, you will eventually win. I've done quite a few impounds at the DMV of people who have lost their cool and got arrested. you don't want to be one of those. Those poor ******** will be blackballed for the rest of their lives:eek:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i woulda just titled it as a regular f-150, who's to say it isn't a "rare" factory option?? :confused: LOL plus i've titled vehicles without a liscense, my friend had 3 before he was 16! :rotflmao oh well hopefully everything will straighten out.

-Jon

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that if you get pulled over by a cop and hand him your permit, he can't ticket you because the ID you're giving him doesn't have your picture on it, right? And since he can't legally ID you from the state issued ID, then it can't be proven that you are who your ID says you are even though the ID allows you to legally drive under certain conditions.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
DMV... Another word for the terminally ******* foe every occasion. I just made an appt online with them to get my new picture licence since mine was 12 years old. I had an appt so I got in the appt line. The "lady" for a better excuse of names gave me a number and told me to watch that electronic borad. Then report to the window for help. I watched and waited for 30 minutes for my number to come up. Then I looked at the bottom of the ticket she gave me.... It said NO APPT LINE. -cuss-cuss I get back in her line and wait some more then... I ask her why she sent me into the no appt line waiting for a window to open up. I told her I was in the appt line when I first saw her. She was working both lines just as you walk in the doors. She told me everybody gets into the appt line. She had my online appt form but she told me I should have told her I had an appt. I told her that was her problem but not looking at my form and me not knowing she was going to do that to me was her problem... What a ***** and a big fat ***** at that. So another 20 minutes waiting and I'm done at the window in about 2 minutes. DMV... May they all get an STD.....-cuss-cuss

In2Fords

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DMV in Colorado Springs was the worst excuse for a office I had ever seen!! They tell to get in 1 line if you had to do this, you get in that line and wait 30 minutes, finally get to the counter and the guy gets frustrated cause your wsting his time by being in the wrong line. I go over and drag the sign and post back to him and show him I was right, he gets all flustered and informs me they had changed the rules and procedures but have had the ability to change the signs yet!! Somehow thats my fault? finally wait another 30 minutes, get to see the "right" person and she informs me I dont have the proper paper work, well the instructions say this is what I need to do what I want to do. She informs me they had changed procedure and hadnt changed the instructions yet!!! so they send me home with nothing, I get what they tell me to and they inform me they changed pocedure again and I need different paper yet again. I couldnt fill out the form yet cause they hadnt got them in from the printers yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was a exercise in futility to try to get a vehicle titled there.
Hawaii was only slightly less agravating, but here in Lincoln City I walked in, only 1 lady working, no line she tells me I dont need to fill out them forms and tell her what I need, she even had a bowl of good candy out for me!! 5 minutes later and I was done and out of there in a good mood!!

Hang in there, it only gets better.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
The DMV here is frustrating too. I don't know about your states, but in Utah, when renewal time comes up for a vehicle registration, they mail you a paper with the vehicle's info, and you NEED it to renew your car for some reason. Well, the government being as reliable as it is, manages to lose 1 or 2 of mine every year without fail. And the local DMV charges a database fee for looking them up(No other counties in the state do it). This lady has always been a total b*****. She glares at me every time I come in, because she knows she's going to have to do quite a bit of work(most of my renewals come up at the same month, and i always have some lookups to do). So I pay an extra $10 every time just to have her spend 30 seconds per vehicle looking up registrations that they won't even send me. Luckily Utah now has an online renewal system, so you can do it from home. They give you a 15 day temporary tag to print off and use until they mail you your updated registration info and year sticker.

I don't know what it is, but all DMV's seem to suck. Luckily in Utah, the driver's licenses are handled by a different agency, the DLD, and they're always great to work with.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't mind going in around here. They require a bunch of papers but, it's getting less every year and I never have to wait for more than three folks before me and the gals are always friendly, I look forward to seeing them. Usually just walk right in if I go in the afternoon. Yet another of the many reasons I no longer live in the big city ;Sweet I;ve had my fair share of those kind of idiots and I feel for you.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why does it have to be titled differently? cause you changed the engine? so if you went from a 300 to a 351w you would have to do the same thing? the title goes with the cab, not the engine. does it make it worth more if you change the title? they would have a hey day with my f350. 85 4x4 frame/92 4x2 body/89 f250 diesel engine/ 92 had an auto,its now going to be a 5 speed, lift, and many more things. hate to think what all they would try with me. after i built my trk i took the title to the dmv (92 body/92 title) and said i want to title this. got it done and i was out. please explain why you have to get a different title please.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crux of the issue of why we have to go through all this is the emmissions test on gas engines. The Bronco was already registered in my name when I converted it, but because I put the diesel in it, no inspection station would put an annual inspection sticker on it, because it fails the emissions test for a gas engine. That's why we have to get them retitled as diesels, so they are emissions exempt. I know this would be a lot easier in certain other states that have no such requirements. This is the price you pay when you live in a state that has two major cities in it with strong democratic parties. :puke:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Come On now, this should be a painless task, getting the NightMoose titled in my name is the only thing left before it can get a plate, sticker, etc. Unfortunately, this is the only phase of which I am not responsible for the process time.

Patience is a virtue young grasshopper.

Matthias, I had a total of 8 trips to the DMV from start to finish on getting Mater built and titled.
Is pretty much the same as what you're going thru.
Each time at the DMV cost me anywhere from 1-2 hrs per visit.-cuss
Even wearing the badge of a few ocassions didn't help the process any one bit. So I cans share your pain. I can't vouch for the ID form requirements but I feel that she is just harassing you as being a young driver as your drivers permit IS a legal form of identification and when you get your drivers license, the numbers should be the same as your permit number.:dunno

So just remember good things come to those who wait, no matter how back it sucks in the mean time, you have more than earned it!;Sweet

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
DMV...don't get me started! :) Here, titling a vehicle is pretty easy, but when I bought my tandem axle trailer, I went in with the title, which showed the weight right on it! They wouldn't accept it, stating that in Ohio, they don't title trailers! I wasn't trying to title it, just buy tags for it! No go, I had to get a weigh slip! So, off I go to get it weighed, only to get stopped for pulling an unlicensed vehicle because when I called the DMV, they said I had to bring the trailer so they could verify the serial number on the trailer with the one on the title, which they never did. I talk my way out of a ticket, go get it weighed and guess what, it weighed almost 700 pounds less on the scale (they only have you put the tires of the trailer on the scale, towing vehicle and tongue weight off the scale and as you go off this particular scale, it is at a sharp down angle, thus putting a bunch of the trailer weight on you hitch. Anyway, I go back with my weigh slip to buy tags, only to get the same person who remembered the weight that was listed on my title (which they wouldn't except). After about losing it, I get my tags. The trailer, a 15,000 lb. GVW tandem axle trailer, weighed almost 1000 pounds less than my last trailer, a 10,000 GVW trailer that was smaller and of course not built ANYTHING like this one! I guess a 15 minute trip saved me money for tags on this trailer as long as I own it! :)