Tining Tools

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the Rotunda's listed there will do Luminosity timing on your truck, so yes, if you don't have a timing meter, they are better than nothing. Make sure you get the one where the guy mentions coming with the luminosity probe, but double check with him to make sure he means it comes with the probe and the glass glow plug.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Most of the Rotunda's listed there will do Luminosity timing on your truck, so yes, if you don't have a timing meter, they are better than nothing. Make sure you get the one where the guy mentions coming with the luminosity probe, but double check with him to make sure he means it comes with the probe and the glass glow plug.

So are there better choices out there? If there are, what do I need to look for? From what I've read on here, you use the pulse type, correct? Is it easier to use? :hail :hail

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I'd go for. Unfortunately, they do not pop up on ebay as often as the lumy ones because those are the ones that people are keeping. You just have to wait and keep watching. In the mean time, you can get a lumy one and keep waiting for the "upgrade" meter to appear, and then re-sell your lumy.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would do some checking on the 78-0116 meter. I was told they will not work with a 6.9 or 7.3 as they were designed for the 2.4. Probably would work with the correct lumy adapter etc.

And by the way, those are ALL luminosity type meters, 78-0100 and 78-0116 use a probe in the glow plug hole. There are pulse adapters available on Ebay from time to time, but I don't see one with any of these meters.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You can also do what I did, buy a MT1480 with all the attachments. You can then get a Ferret, MAC or Snap On pulse generator and use the inductive pickup included with the MT1480 and the pulse generator.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
You can also do what I did, buy a MT1480 with all the attachments. You can then get a Ferret, MAC or Snap On pulse generator and use the inductive pickup included with the MT1480 and the pulse generator.

Cool, thanks. I'm not driving my truck right now and I am trying to get the little stuff taken care of before I use it again. After I figure out all the pieces I'm going to need for the sidewinder, I'll give Banks a call. I want to get it ready to go first.