Timing question

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright guy I took my 7.3 idi n/a in and had it timed once again. So here is my problems still. I'm getting horrible fuel mileage and lots of smoke it's on the retarded side of timing is that how it's suppose to be? It has great power but the timing just doesn't seem right to me specially with my fuel mileage.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Tank" is not a unit of measure. What's the actual economy - distance driven divided by volume fuel required to refill?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Tank" is not a unit of measure. What's the actual economy - distance driven divided by volume fuel required to refill?

This last time it was only 10 miles per gallon in town highway was a little higher but don't remember what it was for high way.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1990 extended cab f250 7.3 idi n/a 5speed with 285/75/16 tires replaced fuel filter replaced pump and injectors

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put that information in your signature. Go to the Top Black line and click on your name and select Signature. Fill out this and you are golden.

A0405

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are oversized tires which will throw your calculations for mpg off if you haven't changed the speedo gear. Might try doing the math back to see what your actual miles traveled vs the odometer and then figure it from there

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are oversized tires which will throw your calculations for mpg off if you haven't changed the speedo gear. Might try doing the math back to see what your actual miles traveled vs the odometer and then figure it from there

Where Is the speedo gear in theses?

A0405

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans or transfer case, I can't remember for sure. Follow the speedo cable along the drivers side floorboard at the trans tunnel

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
2wd or 4x4?
rear end gearing?
injector code?
pump from who?
how much slip in the clutch?

I can go on.......

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the guy that timed it he said to bring it back in and he would retime it for me for free. This is an older guy that has the tools to do it the right way.

But since you asked it's 4x4 4.10 is what I think it has injectors are r and d stage ones. I do have bwd orilleys injectors that are new also. Pump is autozones I do have an r and d pump sitting here but the other one has been doing fine. Clutch was just replaced with LUK single mass. It just had head gaskets done with new push rods and new lifters. New starter, new alternator and belts new rad with t stat with new hoses. New battery's new battery's cables. Coolant temp sender replaced new valve cover gaskets new fuel filter heater. New valley pan replaced CDR. New front brakes and repacked wheel bearing. New u joints and carrier bearing. After market gauges that are glow shift with egt and water temp. It's stock exhaust have 4inch for it right now. New rear brakes with wheel cylinders and parking brake cables. New oil pressure sender. Resealed oil cooler. A/c system was resealed and coverted over to r134. Power steering pump was replaced as well. 1990 f250 extended cab long bed 4x4 7.3 idi n/a 5speed with 285/75/16

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, tires are only aprx. 4% larger than stock, so that's only 1/2 MPG. Were you running the A/C? That'll steal 1-2 MPG.

But if it's smoking, yeah, take him up on the offer to re-time. I don't remember the exact details, but it's supposed to be timed at a certain RPM (1500 or 2000, some such).

Speedo gear will be in the t-case, in your case.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Pump is autozones I do have an r and d pump sitting here but the other one has been doing fine."

You said this in your above post, but if you are having all these mileage problems and smoke, is it really doing fine?

I know the Justin's pumps are good quality( even though I run a moose pump) and I would trust it to be right.

If the timing advance is off, or it is dumping fuel wrong, this could cause your symptoms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86