Time to get INTERCOOLED?

pullcat

Registered Cruiser
Reaction score
Last year I installed a turbo thinking it was going to solve all my problems.
Don't get me wrong it does have alot more power. But I use my truck for mainly pulling a 6,000lb camp trailer, and every long grade I pull I have to do so half throttle because of the 1250 egt's. The question is will the hypermax intercooler fix my half throttle hill climbs or should I just cut my losses?

I know several of you guys are running intercoolers what are your thoughts?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What kind of exhaust are you running, what size? Are you running a muffler?

Yes an intercooler will help out tons. It is expensive, but its worth it in my opinion. I could see a couple hundred degree drop in EGT's, so that will help out a bunch. You could also rig up a water injection system, that helps a ton with EGT's as well.

pullcat

Registered Cruiser
Reaction score
About a month ago I took out the 3 inch exhaust and went to 5 inch no muffler. It helped a little but not much, sounds real good though.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
How about the intake, are you running the hypermax provided one? If so you might want to go with a home made cold air/ram air intake, that'll lower egt's as well.

pullcat

Registered Cruiser
Reaction score
I know hypermax says 30% increase in horse power and 200 degree drop in egt's. If that was true I think it would do the trick. The question is are people really seeing those numbers???

pullcat

Registered Cruiser
Reaction score
I'm already running a cold air intake you can look in my photos to see it, my computer wouldn't let me attach it

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I doubt it would net you that much more power, but I wouldnt doubt it would cool the EGT's that much or maybe even more.

I dont know why some people have problems with EGT's and others dont. I dont, I mean I've pulled (I know, I know, I use this example all the time, but it works) a 4-5K boat up a 6-7% 2+mile grade. I was WOT all the way up, boost was about 8.5psi most the time, and EGT's where 1150* max. I was at 65mph at the bottom, and 55-60mph at the top (in third, dropped down to 50mph in 4th, so I put it in third and quickly accelerated back up to 55mph)

pullcat

Registered Cruiser
Reaction score
I'm sure the fact that my truck is a crew cab dually with a C6 tranny doesn't help my pulling numbers at all.(extra weight)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know hypermax says 30% increase in horse power and 200 degree drop in egt's. If that was true I think it would do the trick. The question is are people really seeing those numbers???
I don't have a "before" comparison but with the IC, I don't have any worries whatsoever when pulling a grade.

suv7734

Reaction score
How much black smoke are you seeing out the tailpipe? With the mods you have done and the weight you are pulling it sounds like you need to back off a bit on the 'fuel screw'. A while ago I pulled a 1962 Jeep station wagon on a trailer (approx 6000# total) from Tacoma to Bellingham and never saw above 600* and maintained at least 60 MPH for the whole trip. Some of those grades may not be the same as what you're doing but... There is a fine line between too much fuel and the power you need. The intercooler will certainly help but it's a lot of work and expense depending on what is necessary to get the job done.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I guess I should also ask what kind of boost you are seeing pulling those grades with those temps. Maybe there is a fine line when you dont have enough boost so the EGT's are high, maybe giving it some more fuel would give you some more boost which would lower EGT's some.