time to get dirty

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
ok this weekend i am pulling my 7.3 IDI this weekend to bring into my mudroom before winter so that i can rebuild it i wanna do the rebuild right and very thoroughly so any suggestions are welcome. i will be putting the turbo back on the engine after the rebuild i want to find a 5 spd manual tranny (6spd preferred) it currently has an E4OD with 190,000 miles on it (300,000kms for us canucks) i am also doing a body lift for easy acces for maintenance but i am not sure how high yet i am open to suggestions there too i also want to do a suspension lift not sure how high there yet either

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you really want a ZF6. Its a lot of work to make them fit behind the IDI. You want a ZF5 or a T18/19 with a GV or US Gear. I don't like autos either I just swapped my C6 for a T18, need an adapter and some electric work to make my DNE2 box work.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
there should be an axle tag on the rear cover that has the ratios on it.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always mark the drive shaft and the tire at the bottom rotate the tire and see how many times the shaft rotates, this gives you exact. Sometieme axle gears get changed and there is no tag left or replaced

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
what are the gear ratios on a ZF-6, ZF-5, i just sold a 2000 f-250 with a 5 spd and 4.10 rear ends she was good in the bush but sucked on highway she was real thirsty in OD the truck did 62MPH (100km/h) at 2200rpm it was 5.4L gas pot. i would like to be able to do 62MPH at like 1400rpm and not lose the bottom end.
if that's possible. or should i quit trying to be cheap and by a 2-speed slave box as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online