Tight upper radiator hose

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok just got done putting new injectors and injector return line kit on my truck. Also last night just got the used factory turbo put on.
Tonight was the first time I got to start the truck in over a month because I finally got everything I needed to start it. Anyways got the truck started after cracking a few injector lines and it purrs like a kitten...felt good about that.
But after just letting it run a couple minutes at idle with a few revs just to listen to the turbo haha, shut the truck down and was picking up tools. Grabbed the upper radiator hose and it was tight, anything wrong with that? Cuz to me that means blown head gasket and I'm paranoid about something not being right after all this work. Anyone with more knowledge than myself please shed some light, much appreciated..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Unless you are losing coolant, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on your coolant level for a bit.
These systems flow a ton, can remember the exact number but it's in the tens of gallons a minute. (30 gpm rings a bell)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not losing any coolant that I can see and the oil is clean, just paranoid haha.
That and I've never really checked the radiator hose after a short run time like that. Only other time I felt it was after I installed a new radiator and that was after a good run getting it up to operating temp for a good while. That was also before the turbo.
I'll be damm sure to keep a close eye everything for a good while once the truck is back on the road, still have to install pyro, boost, oil psi, and temp gauge plus build an intake. That's this weekend's project.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your not experiencing a problem. This is how the cooling system works. At 3000 rpm we are pushing 70 gallons per minte thru the open thermostat and radiator. At the same rpm we push 18.2 gallons of oil thru the engine.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, im expecting to blow a head gasket at some point, just not the first time I fire it up after turbo install and new injectors.
Can't wait to get it on the road, and be able to play with the timing a little bit. I'll be sure and let you know how that fine piece of machinery works Gary haha

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of my trucks do it and I've had several cars that were the same way, like Gary said, nothing to worry about.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The cooling system is only designed to hold around 18 PSI. If a head gasket was bad, you would start seeing coolant coming out somewhere pretty quickly. You probably wouldn't have been able to run it long enough to give it a few revs without noticing it.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broseph. She be fine. However, look inside your radiator opening, if it looks like white growth on the fins youre gonna have to do some cleaning

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck just got a new radiator a couple months ago due to the factory one leaking like a siv. Everything looks clean from what I can tell

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you felt heat on the hose, then the t'stat is opening and the coolant is being circulated and the hose will be pretty tight even swelled a little if it's an old hose.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya new cap too.

Yes the hose was warm to the touch and yes it's a factory hose

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's normal. When the coolant heats up it expands and when it cools it will contract. So if you have no air in the system it's essentially incompressible, and a small amount of expansion will cause a significant increase in pressure - at least until you hit the radiator cap relief pressure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our cooling systems run usually a max pressure of 12 or 13 lbs. Some even run zero pressure with Evans coolant or a 7 lbs cap. I have never read anywhere we have a 18 lbs pressure cooling system. If you read this please tell everyone where it was printed. Its best to ask and investigate everything said here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online