throttle cable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi

Finally got my truck insured after all the engine work.

We lowered the idle to about 600 RPM and the throttle cable sticks shut.
Upon further inspection i noticed the end that connects to the IP (the red part) has 2 peices of plastic that slide in and out of eachother. one of the peices of plastic is broken to when you go to step on the gas it binds up.

Has anybody had this problem and knows a way to fix it without replacing the cable?
OR..
Should i just replace the cable?

Matt

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the cable price is either 50 or 75 bux. worth the peace of mind. i had the plastic desintergrate at an intersection. had to idle through and did a field fix that was downright ugly.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yea,Pretty much normal.The plastic drys out and becomes very brittle(Did they make these dang things outta Bakalite??!?!).The Enterprise is the same way.I need to buy one in a week or two since tomorrow I am gonna try to drive it to work....after I pick it up from Mechanic #2.......

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine has been broken like that for many years.

I carefully picked out the broken bits from inside the spring.

Shoot a little oil at it, once in a while, and no problems.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If decide to replace it, I recommend the Dealership. I have had terrible luck with aftermarket throttle cables. Most are longer than the original which causing binding problems with the way the cable must be bent to fit.

One complicating factor in my trucks is the turbo. That cable needs to be the correct length for a turboed truck. You might be able to get by on an N/A truck.

akoldnav

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Here is a quick fix. Unbolt the cable bracket from the intake bowl & put enough washers between the bowl & the bracket to take up the slack between the 2 pieces inside the throttle cable spring. You may need some longer bolts to bolt the bracket back up. I had about six washers behind each bolt & ran it that way for about 1.5 years. Only down side is you will have some play in the gas pedal. I just replaced mine while I had my IP out though. $65.00 from the local Ford Dealer & very easy install. Unclip from gas pedal & IP then 2 bolts in the fire wall & out it comes.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing and I just cut the broken stuff out of the spring and it has been that way for almost 2 years. Keep the bucks in your pocket and drive it.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen many throttle cables broken in this manner. Depending on how it breaks, it may or may not cause a problem. I've theorized that one might be able to fix it if you could get creative with some heat shrink tubing, but I'd certainly replace it if you can.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Mine broke (the little red plastic thingys) & stayed broke about 14 years....little oil occasionally & being careful when I was under there messing round connecting or disconnecting them.
Then last year throttle got funny one day pulling a trailer, running late, kinda dressed up, no coveralls, going thru red lites & heavy traffic, no where to pull off. Finally, about 3rd lite, throttle sticking wide open......
Anyway, turned out the actual cable finally was frayed & sticking inside the slide tube. New cables were about $60-70 & not near as hard to replace as I figured.
(nothing ever breaks till I have my tux on & running late)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford part is the only direct fit. Napa sells a replacement but you have to shim the cable at the pedal because it is a bit too long. Itys a universal design. The install of teh Ford part is easy,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin