Thoughts on possible injector problem

Spark

Reaction score
Hello brand new member here. I have been around Powerstrokes quite a bit, but never played with IDIs that much other than owning one.
I picked up the 92 in my sig a couple nights ago. Ran great for the test drive, and the 130 miles home, and the truck was cold when I got to the guys house. The next day I let the truck warm up for about 15 mins before leaving work, and for the last two days, it has been running very rough on takeoff under load. It hesitates and misses/ sputters and when it does this it is puffing white smoke very noticeably (doesn't smoke when not sputtering). It also seems to me like it is lacking a little bit of power. I know these aren't power house trucks, but I have owned a 6.9 that I think would walk all over this truck. Today I had to run a few places after work and the truck was running for a while longer and it seemed by the time I was heading home, the problem of the sputtering had cleared up. Also got horrible mileage on the way home with it, and the truck seems to run "quiet" to me. I have been researching as much as I can but I always second guess myself which is why I came here. From what I have read, it possibly needs injectors. Does this sound accurate? Also by the horrible mileage, low power, quiet running, and the fact the PO recently put a IP in the truck, the timing might need to be advanced? Right now the line on the pump is almost right lined up with the line on the cover, maybe a lines width to the drivers side. Sorry for the long winded post just wanted to give all the info lol. I appreciate any advise.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To advance, a dimes width to the passenger side, not driver side.
Sounds like it's picking up air to me and could be caused by a number of things. I wouldn't condemn any parts just yet.
What do you consider horrible mileage?

Spark

Reaction score
I don't have any actual numbers yet on mileage. But went through over 3/4 tank (front tank) on the ride home and two days of basically warming the truck up. I live very close to where I work

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There are only three places that are known for good, quality pumps and injectors for our IDIs. Conestoga Diesel (owned by member Agnem on here), Russ (member Typ4 on here), and Justin at R&D IDI Performance. None of these will be the cheapest, but they are known for their top quality of work. ANY place else and you may have good luck for a little while, but most likely not. All three of the above places are good people to work with and will try to answer any questions you have about their products. Welcome back to the simple side of diesels.

Spark

Reaction score
I would have definitely went with one of the three you mentioned if it was me, but like I said the previous owner put it on before I bought the truck. Does it sound like it could be a possible IP issue?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the good side spark..

I would start with the simple stuff first. Look for air leaks, lift pump operation, fuel filter ect... Any notes of raw fuel smells under the hood? Mine ran like crap and smelled like raw fuel, there was a weep hole on the side of the lift pump that was seeping a little changed it and the pig tail no issues afterwards.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If the other owner replaced the injection pump you may want to know who he purchased from. As already posted. Plenty of horrible pump shops out there. As for lining up the timing marks..Well thats not ever going to be right no matter who tells you differently. If you shop ebay for a Kent Moore J33300 or J33300-A meter purchase it. They are a well supported meter and very simple to use. the microprocessor does all the timing for you. No timing lights or removing a glow plug.Just connect and rev to 2000 rpm. Read both timing and engine rpm on the meter. Always shut down engine to adjust the pump timing. Any idea how many miles are on the injectors?? Its generally known here they usually last between 125,00 to 150,000 miles.

Spark

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys! By air leaks do you mean air leaking into the fuel system at some point? I don't smell any raw fuel and the lift pump was also changed with the IP. Ill have to look for the timing tool you mentioned. I also have zero clue how long the injectors have been in the truck. I would like to toss a set in just for the piece of mind and the price of them. I am going to try and get ahold of the PO this morning and see where he got the IP from

Spark

Reaction score
Also I thought I had found the problem this morning on the way to work. last night I fueled up the rear tank and figured I would try that.. this was near the time everything cleared up but not exactly at that time. Ran great on the way to work today, realized I forgot my work phone at home.... Ran like chit all the way home and back. smoking white like usual.

Spark

Reaction score
Of course the guys "mechanic" replaced the pump and lift pump and he didn't know where he got them from. Then also said the mechanic set the timing, but I might want to check it if I know how. It is very odd how intermittent this problem is, and how much the smoke level changes. Just ran an errand on lunch and ran fantastic on the way to the place, took off and it was running great, then started sputtering and filling the lane with white smoke. The truck has almost ZERO smoke other than when it does this, even on a cold start

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would say sounds like you're drawing some air somewhere.
When it's running rough and smoking, does it feel like it revs easy or wants to take off on its own?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that it is intermittent is interesting. I wonder if the FSV is malfunctioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spark

Reaction score
I think it revs pretty much the same as it always does. I agree it seems like its taking in air, but that is also weird that It would be doing it intermittently. I have read that a new IP with (possibly) old worn out injectors could bring up problems with injectors sealing and such.. sounds possible? I never thought of the FSV being the culprit.

Spark

Reaction score
This weekend I plan on putting a new return line kit on the truck, and while I'm that far I'm trying to get a pop tester thrown together if I can find an extra injector line somewhere. I have read to get a return kit that uses quality parts. I see Advanced Auto has a Delphi kit. would that be a decent one to buy or is there a certain aspect to look for when buying one?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin