Thinking of an 04-05 duramax

alexw21

Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing either a GMC or Chevy with a duramax w/auto and 4wd. does anyone have any recomendationon this set up?

What should I expect for service life on the 6.6, well maintained?

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing either a GMC or Chevy with a duramax w/auto and 4wd. does anyone have any recomendationon this set up?

What should I expect for service life on the 6.6, well maintained?

I have one and love it. Mine is an '06 with the 6sp Ally. If you do any serious off roading, look at beefing up the front suspension. Cognito Motorsports has everything you need for that. Ride is good...off-road durability not so good stock.

If you can, look for an early LLY engine (2004.5-2005). They don't have the EGR system (if memory serves me right), but do have the other good stuff. Not quite as powerful stock as my LBZ, but I would trade not having that damn EGR valve. Bad Bad idea.

The Allison is a great transmission. If you plan on upping the power, don't forget the transmission. The Ally is good for about another 100 horsepower and torque, then you are at it's stock design limit. That's Chevy's fault again.

The Duramax responds well to all the usual computer engine upgrades. You can unleash a lot of power without opening up the engine. Don't waste your money on an aftermarket fresh air intake unless you really like them. The stock intake on this engine flows and filters more air than the engine needs unless modified. It's a 7000 lb hotrod.

Overall mine is a very comfortable ride. I can go all day in it. It hauls and tows well. I can pull down 23 MPG with only an MBRP 4" exhaust with the cruise set at 65 MPH (approx 1500 RPM). At 75 MPH that drops to around 20 on the highway. If my wife is driving, all that goes out the window. HaHa. She likes to exercise the right foot a lot.

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01