Think I'll give alternate fuels a try... few ???

MandolinMan

Reaction score
The other day a fellow told me than he runs his IDI on used tranny fluid. That got me to researching alternate fuels. Being new to diesels I didn't know that these old diesels could run on such a variety of different fuels. With that and the highest diesel fuel prices that I've seen in a while, I think I'll have to give it a try after this winter breaks. Just have several Questions:

First, the two most common seem to be used motor oil and vegetable oil. Wondering if one gave an advantage over the other? Easier filtering, more power, better MPG's, easier starting, etc.

Second, I'd like to give it a try without spending much. I figure if it works out, I can get a better filtration setup with what I'm saving in fuel. I came across this website the other day, http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=+filter++bag&i=filterbags . Wondering if filter bags with five gal. buckets would work sufficient for small amounts to get started? Or if there's a better way to filter the oil without spending much?

Also, a little clarification on the 'settling process'. I hear some guys adding small amounts gasoline to the mix?

Thanks

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct on the two types of most used.
Also I think its safe to say that wmo is usually a combination of other types of waste oil, gear, trans, etc.
It's hard to say which is better, here are my reasons.
WVO might be a better fuel, lubricity, (maybe) power, but it has a big disadvantage when it comes to temperature, and sometimes finding enough sources, sometimes.
I use wmo oil because of outside temp and availability.
I don't think filtering either one is harder, unless temp is too cold.
There are many different ways to start filtering, if you haven't already done so, do some reading about others and the setups they have.
On the starting question, in the long run I think running a 2 tank system, or in our cases 3 tanks, is better.
Basically what I mean is starting on regular diesel, then before you shut off the engine, some way purge your system so all you have in the fuel system,(fuel pump, IP, injectors) is regular diesel.
Some OBer's that run wmo do start up on wmo, and have no problems, bbbuuuuttt in your location of IN, your outside temp could put a wrinkle in that.
Settling process would be letting a barrel of wmo sit for weeks or months at a time, without pumping out or in.
Adding gasoline or RUG, (regular unleaded gasoline) usually is intended to thin out the mix during or before filtering it.
I would add that using these types of "other" fuels does have problems along the way. Not trying to keep you from using this kind of stuff, but it is very much a "buyer beware". Then cheaper fuel is the trade off.;Sweet

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start with WMO as its also typically cheaper to get started with... easier to process... easier to find... etc..etc.

Where in IN are you located?

As far as a mix goes... with WMO, the most common mix is called W80 which is 80% wmo and 20% thinner (typically gasoline or kerosene) For someone just wanting to do some simple settling/filtering... I would strongly suggest blending with atleast 20% gasoline and let that mix settle for a few days... then pump off the top of the container to your filters or filter bags... and filter down to 1 micron.

For small amounts to see if you'll like the results, this will work... but I wouldn't rely on it for the long term.

We currently run a 93 non turbo IDI on pump diesel in the rear tank and straight w80 in the front tank... start and shut down on pump diesel but switch right over. The IDI will drink just about anything you pour in the tank as long as the lift pump will move it.

-Chris

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info,

I'm located 45 min. east of Indy.

What are some of the best sources for wmo? I mean where's a good place to start looking? Mechanic and oil change shops?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much.... become friends with the managers of local parts stores too since they do free disposal. Smaller shops are your best bet as larger shops typically have EPA hoops to jump through.

I've got several shops I pick up from... you can put an add on craigslist too... but you need to have a way of picking it up. Most store in drums or totes that they want to keep... so you'll need a way to pump it out of the drums.

A modified big block Chevy oil pump and a half inch cordless drill work really well for this.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you live in a small town oil change places are a good place to start.
Another place to look are farms or farmers, construction companies, anyone that has heavy equipment, maybe even people that DIY oil changes.???
Some parts stores take oil in just as a service for customers, check with them as well.

MandolinMan

Reaction score
In the W80 mix mentioned above is there any particular reason that gas Is used as a thinner instead of diesel fuel? Just curious if there is an advantage to using gasoline.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want to get the mix to match the viscosity of diesel.. so using diesel fuel as a thinner won't get it there. Gasoline thins the mix a lot further then d2 will... and the w80 mix closely matches pump diesel.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a more scientific way of doing it if you want to... I plan to in the near future...

But.. If you test the specific gravity of diesel... then blend to match... it would be ideal. I'd say its the best way of doing it as you never know how thick/thin the oil you are mixing with really is.

Hydrometer kits are relatively cheap.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been starting my 12v Cummins on W80 mix in single digit temps without issues fwiw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online