Thermostat housing check ball

RocketScott

Reaction score
I'm prepping a replacement engine to go into my van and figured a new thermostat would be a good idea.

The retainer holding the check ball in disintegrated while cleaning it up. Any ideas for a replacement retainer? I was thinking an oring but I'm worried about it getting sucked into the engine and clogging something up.

BTW- The check ball is 1/4". That was asked in the tacked thread but didn't see it answered anywhere.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only purpose of the check ball is to bleed any air out of the system, it stays open if any air is in the system and closes when liquid hits it. Both holes are the same size in the block and t'stat neck, so an O'ring might get back down into the block. Don't remember but you may turn the gasket around and block off that hole. I wouldn't use any RTV to hold the ball in.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can remove it. I took mine out a while back and haven't had any problems with it not warming up or not bleeding air from system.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
My experience is that without the ball the engine warms up very slow, not at all just idling.
I just went through this. I wish I had of taken pictures!
Here is how I did it:
Cut a piece of 3/8 copper tubing a little longer (about 3/16) than the depth of the hole the ball resides in. Put the ball and the tubing in. With a small hammer, a couple punches and some patience, peen the end of the tubing over until it becomes a retainer. It might take two tries to get it right. If the hole is too small, drill it out to a little smaller than the ball. If the copper sticks up past the gasket surface a little file it flat. Better than new and permanent! Took me about an hour tops. Looked factory....

RocketScott

Reaction score
My experience is that without the ball the engine warms up very slow, not at all just idling.
Here is how I did it:
Cut a piece of 3/8 copper tubing a little longer (about 3/16) than the depth of the hole the ball resides in. Put the ball and the tubing in. With a small hammer, a couple punches and some patience, peen the end of the tubing over until it becomes a retainer. It might take two tries to get it right. If the hole is too small, drill it out to a little smaller than the ball. If the copper sticks up past the gasket surface a little file it flat. Better than new and permanent! Took me about an hour tops. Looked factory....

That's kinda what I was thinking. I have some small brass freeze plugs that might fit too.

I figured it would 'work' to leave it out but they took the time to put it in at the factory so it must contribute something.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it does(contribute something). Mine would hardly get to temp going down the road and never @ idle.

RocketScott

Reaction score
This is what I came up with. Trimmed down lock washer till it fit snugly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how I did it:

Tech section worthy^^^

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about drilling and tapping to fit small allen head pipe plug and drill out the centre of hex...grind/file flush

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the easy fastest way is a 1/8 tube compression nut, like those junky nylon tube with oil gauge types, file some of the open end off, drive it in with a hammer, high points shave off, brass , no rust, if it is under gasket level, good to go.

Last edited:

RocketScott

Reaction score
Again, the easy fastest way is a 1/8 tube compression nut, like those junky nylon tube with oil gauge types, file some of the open end off, drive it in with a hammer, high points shave off, brass , no rust, if it is under gasket level, good to go.

What's with this 'again' business? This is the first time you've posted in this thread. Got any pictures of what you're talking about or a link to another thread?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive posted it many times, I have pics on the computer that has crashed, and searching for answers sometimes works pretty well, just sayin.
I removed the again.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your washer work s great. I don't do links, no time , and it was years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online