Them Darn Brakes Again

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
Ok,

So now I got a good pedal (Replaced vacume pump) and now the darn thing locks the rear wheels..... Man does that suck !.

Everythgin is adjusted and everything works..

So i assume that the ABS is not working right cuz the ABS light comes on when this happens and stays on..

I have yet to touch that darn RABS valve and don't really feel like buying a new one.. coudl it be the sensor in the rear housing? as of right now the only things that have not been replaced are the RABS VALVE AND THE SENSOR in the rear..

Ideas on solution are appreciated.

P.S. I love this truck i pulled 20' boat yesterday and didn't even know it was there... :) Temp guage went up to the " N " but that was all and that was more than acceptable for temp for me :)

Thanks
Dave

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Make sure that the rear brakes are dry, if a rear axle seal goes, it'll ****** the shoes. Causing them to lock prematurely. I jsut re read your post. So you've had the hydraulic system apart? If so, there's a special bleeding procedure for the Rabs valve. I can't remember it correctly, right now. So rather than give ya bad info, I'll let someone chime in that's done it recently

Your temp story is just another example of how unreliable OEM Ford guages are. It should read somewhere between O-R during normal operation.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RABS can be unpluged. The plug is along the left side of the frame just under where the drivers left foot or knee would be. You might try that and see if things work better. At least that might help diagnose the problem.

Good luck

akoldnav

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
Going to unplug the RAB tomorrow and I am ording new guages so I know actual temps and pressures Ford Guages have always been junk.

Last edited:

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snowman671 said:
Going to unplug the RAB tomorrow and I am ording new guages so I know actual temps and pressures For Guages have always been junk.

When my dash gauge is at the "N" my real gauge is at 195* temp, be careful

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
Anyone know what the normal operating temps should be. ? Or Better Yet what temps are safe. I have a 30' trailer to haul 6500 - 7000 lbs . what should I be watching for tempature wise.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Just make sure you don't see any wild swings from the guage. You know where it normanlly runs, as long as it doesn't swing over 2 letters, your prolly fine. I know I can watch my guage and when the fan clutch activates, the guage will show the cooling effect.
If it reads low, the sender is prolly getting bad. You might want to swap it out. It's less than 20 bux.