The wandering oil cap

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened a few weeks back and is par for the course with me. Also got knocked offline for a bit. I'm sure you all missed me terribly.

Anyway, went to check the oil one day and discovered that the oil cap had vanished. I figured stupid me didn't put it on right and it blew off. Looked around, didn't find it, sighed and started to look for a replacement.

A few days later driving the truck and it starts to behave funny. Idle went erratic, power, no power, power, no power. I'm thinking the lift pump has failed or is going. Pull over at a gas station it dies and doesn't restart. Great! Call She Who Must Be Obeyed(tm) and get a ride home. Come back the next day and check fuel pressure. It's fine! Great, I think, what could be the problem and how terribly expensive is it going to be?

Start to look it over and lo and behold! The lost oil cap! Wedged nicely between the IP and the block, stopping things from moving appropriately. Pull it out, put it where it belongs and make sure it's screwed on right and she starts up and runs fine.

Moral of the story: Know where you cap is.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Similarly, i discovered if you forget to hook up the fuel heater wire on the fuel filter assembly, it will swing around and short out taking the entire ignition circuit with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle