The Future of the IDI Weekend

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
We are still trying to put an idea together and are getting a rough plan worked out. The family and I plan to head out this weekend for some scouting and confirmation.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
As an "Elder" I can't add much more to what Heath and Travis said in their original posts. We (as a family) attended the rallies to see our friends. When those friends turn their backs on you and belittle you, for being "different" is is NO different from the PSD rallies that was the epidis of the IDI Rally. It's not fun or funny.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are still trying to put an idea together and are getting a rough plan worked out. The family and I plan to head out this weekend for some scouting and confirmation.

I'd love to see what you can come up with!

Hey Russ, remember that time at your rally when we almost got struck by lightning? Man that was something!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really like to go to a rally but the date always proves difficult. I read through all of this thread and thought I would repeat a couple of key ideas that were suggested:

1. Consider a different date
2. Change the rally to include all others (non-idi) - I suggest "oil burners rally"*
3. Member map. This should be easy to put together and it would be very interesting to see the where IDI's are on a map!

*I do consider the IDI to be something special. The PSD and other modern diesels were born from 'old technology', it was the reliability and popularity of this old technology that made modern diesels possible (in the light truck market). The IDI's and the people who keep these historic vehicles going should be recognized and applauded at an event, not mocked!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would really like to go to a rally but the date always proves difficult. I read through all of this thread and thought I would repeat a couple of key ideas that were suggested:

1. Consider a different date
2. Change the rally to include all others (non-idi) - I suggest "oil burners rally"*
3. Member map. This should be easy to put together and it would be very interesting to see the where IDI's are on a map!

*I do consider the IDI to be something special. The PSD and other modern diesels were born from 'old technology', it was the reliability and popularity of this old technology that made modern diesels possible (in the light truck market). The IDI's and the people who keep these historic vehicles going should be recognized and applauded at an event, not mocked!

I couldn't agree more. I think it would be a good idea to assemble a member map. For me July 4th week is just an easer time to leave work and a more popular vacation time. I don't appose to the rally being held at another time.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never been to a rally and I've only been an Oil Burners member a little over a year, and I'm a 'mooch member' in that I'm not a supporting member. That being said, I did go through the past messages and I gleaned some insight, maybe.

- Everyone wants to attend a safe and fun rally affiliated with this site and the IDI community.

- Lots of people wish there was a rally closer to them.

- These trucks are getting older and arguably less reliable, and harder to find parts for.

- Many seek a different date for the event.

- Everyone wants everyone to feel included.

Taking those parameters, why not create multiple rallies, all affiliated by our family here. I understand some are doing such or working on such. Maybe we could break up the OB community into divisions, maybe using a map like the NFL divisions. NFC-North for those near me et cetera. Have mini-rallies or rallies to each division, then a National Convention where anyone that has hosted a division rally is eligible to host. Support a 'show what ya bring' attitude where literally anything can be shown, from a 1958 Cevy Biscayne, to a badass 1994 IDI 7.3 double crewcab, or even a Muscateer. Award prizes to everyone that shows. Do raffles, from parts, to service, to beer. Maybe apply the showing entrance fee as support for the community, like as keeping this place running. Offer demonstrations, those that know something donate their time to demonstrate how to weld, or repair an IP. Do events like a softball game, tour an area, the host offering usage of their shop for any impromptu repairs needed. That's just some thoughts.

EDIT: I corrected my football division.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well what I keep reading is all the talk about "changing" the name to include others. Well as far as I recall the rally has ALWAYS included "other rigs". Even cars are welcomed to an idi rally. The 2009 rally I attended saw some members driving other trucks and cars. Travis drove his white dodge diesel and as far as I remember. Nobody teased him like an outsider. When he was looking at my under hood he very nicely asked.. "Hows your vacuum pump operating". I said fine, why?? He pointed out I had the serpentine belt running over the top of the pulley instead of under the pulley. He even pointed out the belt was not touching the pulley at the reasting positon. Well I was shocked I had made a mistake and I even had a belt pic from towcat to install from. I had to look at another engine to see what I did wrong. For me I thanked him for watching out for me. He also noticed my paint needed some rubbing out. He said he would do a front fender and then I would be inclined to do the reat of the crewcab.. Nope.. But he said someone would maybe do it after bedtime. Thats just fun. I enjoyed the fun too. Nothing at the rally butt hurt me and my wifey tells me I'm thin skinned when words are said. I really do not like being on the roads during any holiday but thats my feelings. Not anyone other than me. I still suck it up and travel just the same but I'm so much more cautious. Plan a rally and they will come.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking those parameters said:
Its not a bad idea, but from what I noticed when there are several rally's it becomes difficult for people to chose what rally to go to and they decide to not go at all. I haven't seen a map but I know there are not many IDI'ers close to me.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a bad idea, but from what I noticed when there are several rally's it becomes difficult for people to chose what rally to go to and they decide to not go at all. I haven't seen a map but I know there are not many IDI'ers close to me.

Then the four or five that may be close get together. In my geographic location, basically my only 'close' members would be 'junk' and that nice fella from the Fargo area, and they're still at or over 100 miles away.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There used to be a Member's map for the IDI crowd. It was concurrent with a list called the "IDI Help Registry". I have a link in my signature to the old site, but I think the site's been lost to mergers and whatnot...

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For whoever will be hosting the next rally. Here are some activities that I think would be a good addition, all the trucks participated in a local parade in town, we did some site seeing on our way to the mountain but I should have scheduled in more time to see more. Sometimes the simple or small things can be the most fun for everyone.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There used to be a Member's map for the IDI crowd. It was concurrent with a list called the "IDI Help Registry". I have a link in my signature to the old site, but I think the site's been lost to mergers and whatnot...

^^^this would help make it easy and free to shaggy, making it a sticky listing by state , handle then name ect.?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online