The 6 beater has struck again....

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
After the front end began clattering and getting loose, I hauled it to a shop that "specializes" in diesel trucks. After they flushed all the systems except an oil and diff change, They discovered a problem with the cooling system.

A pipe o-ring was leaking bad running from the timing cover to the heater core was the pipe was badly rusted and needed replaced. I told them to do it. I get another call later. Bolts have snapped off in the front cover. I told them drill and tap baby. I was informed they tried. Cover turned to powder in the area. According to them, The original coolant became so acidic it ate the aluminum and destroyed it required the timing cover to be replaced at the tune of 650 plus 40 for the pipe on top of the almost 700 for the maintenance services. Not including transport fee... Oh and I still don't fully know whats wrong with the front end...

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the "acidic" coolant ate the aluminum imo it was the bubbles rather that entered the system through the leak and cavitated it.

I would bet the cover is trashed around the water pump as well.

What kind of coolant did you have before the flush? Coolant without the correct additives (especially when there's air intrusion) will either plug your oil cooler or let cavitation eat through front covers and water pumps. Flush the system and refill with 50% distilled water 50% cat ELC or equivalent for the love of all thats holy.

Why can't you do the work yourself? It's relatively easy and all you need is common hand tools and a gear puller IIRC. 700 seems reaaaaally steep for a flush imo

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, was it had never been flushed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online