The 6.9 is down!

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
Ok my friends 6.9 has a few problems. Last week it was sitting at idle waiting to warm up, after 3 min the exaust note changed drasticly. It started to sound like and old diesel farm tractor. Another few minutes goes by and it almost went away. Didn't think much of it so we took off(8 miles down the road). Came back, parked the truck for the rest of the week. Fired it up yesterday and it got worse. We went for a test run and smoke was pouring out the stack the whole time, temp was up just a little above what it normaly is, egt was way up and did not want to come down very fast, idle speed droped 200 rpm, and truck was doggy.
Any thoughts? 1983 F250 6.9 4 speed

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what color smoke? And what did it smell like(fuel, oil, etc.)?

Does kind of sound like a failing (failed?) IP.

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
To explain more: IP pump screw has been turned up(not shure how much, he turned it, I was laying on the ground turning motor over by hand), smoke coming out of stack was light gray in color unless he stabed the throtle then black in color, next point to note; he looked in the intake while engine was running and said he noticed white smoke moving rearward form front two cylinders, drivers side cylinder bank. Was woundering if it could be a valve problem? Another dumb question; could the intake or exaust valve hit the pistion at full lift? The egt'***** 600 just driving around VERY EASY and did not want to fall to quickly(usually hits maybe 300).

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Did your friend or you hear any popping in the intake? How about any popping in the exhaust? This could indicate valve/lifter issues. Did your friend turn the pump ALL the way up? Some people say turning it all the way up without backing off a few turns can cause problems.

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
Exaust note poping is an understatement. It sounds like an old john deere diesel tractor with no muffler. I dont think he turned the screw all the way up but I know he turned it up more than we did on my 3/4 and 1 ton. We are going to try to take a look at it monday after he gets off from work. Not in a hurry because he only drives it on the weekends if he isnt driving his 4x4. Thanks for all the replys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US