THAT was a big cloud of smoke!!!!!!

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Truck has been hard starting in the morning since replacing a few of my injector lines. I think an injector (or 2) is stuck open. Anyhow I have to crank at least 3 or 4 times for about 30 seconds to get it to fire. It will usually start smoking out of the exhaust on the 2nd cranking session. This morning it actually stumbled several times over, while still cranking, before finally getting straightened out. When it finally lit off, the cloud of smoke was giant. Smoke out the neighborhood giant. Before starting I let the fuel pump run for a good minute, then glow and start. It will run for a bit, 4 seconds maybe, then die and I have to crank. It also runs very rough even after warm starts until driven, but has a smooth initial start up.

I am somewhat perplexed here. I kind of am thinking an air intrusion further away than at the injectors, I need new olives, and ?????? Stuck open injectors adding to hard start maybe?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your fuel is draining back because of an air leak somewhere. Try tightening up the filter to injection pump line nuts. In those nuts are a gasket called an olive. They wear out and harden. Then leak air and its hard to start. The filter from the old lift pump has the same olive in it at the filter head but not at the old mechanical lift pump end.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do IDI flare fittings need seals? I've never had flare fittings leak.

Will the local auto parts store have the seals?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the injectors were sticking OPEN they would havea hot fuel line as combustion gasses push back up into the line

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any good injection pump repair shop will have the olives or contact typ4 here. He has them ready to ship and your supporting a member too. Not some shop down the road that just wants your money.