Temperatures after new bumper

gandalf

Reaction score
I just recently installed a new front bumper on my '92 truck. The bumper is from a '97, so it has the cut-outs to allow more air flow.

I took it out for a drive today, thinking that the high heat would be a good test. I was pleasantly surprised at the results. Keep in mind, I have the cabover camper mounted, so I'm pushing alot of air.

My transmission has the standard cooler configuration, one in the radiator and another tiny one in front. Previously the transmission temp ran at 195°F. Today it ran at 180° on the freeway and the hills, climbing to 185° only when I came off the freeway and the torque converter unlocked.

The water temp got as high as 195° before the thermistat opened, then immediately dropped to 185°. It used to run at 190° to 195° on the freeway.

Are these drops representative of what can be expected from a bumper with the cut-outs? Are these drops what I should have been expecting? Needless to say, I'm quite pleased.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was running for a few days without a front bumper completely and the water temps were noticably cooler. So, yes even as "restrictive" as cutouts may be compared to no bumper, the additional airflow is better. My IC likes it since the entire IC is fed by those holes.