T19 Overheating?

TYEDYEFLASH

TYEDYEFLASH
Reaction score
First I'm wondering what and where I can find the right kind of transmission fluid for my T19 Ford dealership said I can use any 80w-90 even GL-5 which I'm running now cause that all I can find. but even before my recent fluid swap (not sure what previous owner had in it) the transmission would do fine driving around town shifting up and down but after about an hour of highway(75MPH) or city shifting it gets very hard to shift. I'm wondering if there is a better lube I can put in it or some kind of vent on it that clogged? Clueless . . .

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet you could run mud in a t-19 and it would be fine. I've had good luck with 15-40 in them, makes winter time shifting a bit easier. Thinner fluid makes them shift easier but also makes them louder

TYEDYEFLASH

TYEDYEFLASH
Reaction score
Not for sure its the fluid, just trying to diagnose why its hard to shift after an hour of driving whether I'm shifting a lot or not.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I bet you could run mud in a t-19 and it would be fine. I've had good luck with 15-40 in them, makes winter time shifting a bit easier. Thinner fluid makes them shift easier but also makes them louder

well, I don't know about mud, but I know they run fine on flood water for a couple months at least :rotflmao

I've got 75-90 amsoil in mine, thinking about going with straight 50 weight synthetic whenever I change it again

I should mention, mine gets hard to shift after it's been good and worked as well, love floating it into 1st when you come to a stop yet? ;Poke

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it gets hard to shift stop the truck and let it idle in neutral with the clutch pedal out. Then push the clutch pedal in and try to put it in reverse. Will it go? Does it scrape? If you wait a little bit will it go or does it never go in?

When it's working correctly do the same thing again and see if it will go in reverse. You may have a clutch problem of some sort.

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20w50 in mine.the original fluid was a sae90 gl-1 oil that's very close to a 40wt engine oil.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Sounds like clutch issues, but you could be low on oil, too. That would explain the extra heat and slinging oil off of synchro assemblies will definitely make it tough to shift. Full of oil? Look to the clutch.

TYEDYEFLASH

TYEDYEFLASH
Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of . . . I will pull the tranny here soon and if the clutch is worn replace it and if its still in good shape throw a ZF 5 in there

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of . . . I will pull the tranny here soon and if the clutch is worn replace it and if its still in good shape throw a ZF 5 in there
No you wont...ZF has completely different input shaft diameter and spline count. Needs a whole new clutch assembly and likely flywheel too.

Just sayin

TYEDYEFLASH

TYEDYEFLASH
Reaction score
well yeah that's what I meant is if the clutch is good I'm just gonna accuse the transmission for the bad shifting and do the full swap. Ive been going back and forth about doing it and ill just make that the deciding factor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online