Swapping EECs?

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
I spent all day yesterday trying to track down what appears to be a short in my electrical system. After all that it seems like maybe it's the factory computer itself of the EEC power relay. I ordered a relay, should be in on Wednesday. If that doesn't solve the problem I may be looking at getting a new computer. I'm going to look on e-bay right now. But I also have the potential of picking up a 1994 IDI Turbo F-250 - any chance they share the same computer? Mine is a 1990 F-350. Also can I put the turbo on my older motor - my motor is in a lot better shape, but I wouldn't mind the turbo.

Thanks

sootman73

Reaction score
what is the symptoms of your problem. i'm assuming the computer for the trans is what you are talking about. it is very unlikely that there is a problem with the computer. they are very very durable. 99% of the time it is another electrical component failure that can make you think it is the computer.

explain your problems and i can probably tell you what it is as i went through this 6 months ago.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
All the turbo stuff swaps straight over. Not sure about the computers. But the factory system is an ATS based unit with a crumpled downpipe. Change the downpipe and life gets better.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
what is the symptoms of your problem. i'm assuming the computer for the trans is what you are talking about. it is very unlikely that there is a problem with the computer. they are very very durable. 99% of the time it is another electrical component failure that can make you think it is the computer.

explain your problems and i can probably tell you what it is as i went through this 6 months ago.

My battery idiot light came on on the dash. I had the alternator and batteries tested (both were new in the Spring anyway). They tested good. However, when I check battery voltage with the engine running I show just over 13v. When I put the headlights on the voltage drops dangerously close to 12v and keeps slowly dropping. I disconected all my batteries (I have an extra mounted on the back to run the accesories in my workshop in the box- 3 total batteries). I did the light bulb test and tracked the "short" to the starter relay on the passenger side by the battery. Figured out which wire had voltage (11.85v)(Big yellow wire) traced it to the EEC power relay. Pulled that out and it tested bad. My dad also pulled the computer - can't remember now what the reason was for pulling it. I rigged up a replacement relay - seemed to work. No run off voltage. But when we put the computer back under the dash the 11.85 volts came back. Not sure what to do from here.

sootman73

Reaction score
i'm confused. the only computer you should have is for your transmission. what is the EEC? i have the wiring diagram in front of me and i dont see it?

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
If you get that 94 F250 I would like the rods and pistons out of it:D If you plan to tear that far into it.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
i'm confused. the only computer you should have is for your transmission. what is the EEC? i have the wiring diagram in front of me and i dont see it?

I guess its also called PCM, or ECM. It's located under the hood release in the cab behind the trim molding. All my tranny controls run to it, but so do the engine controls such as fast idle. The relay is mounted to the overflow and windsheild washer fluid canisters.

Great video by the way! Nice burnout!

Last edited:

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
If you get that 94 F250 I would like the rods and pistons out of it:D If you plan to tear that far into it.

My wife says I should offer you a straight up trade: The Pistons & Rods for your computer. Just kiddingLOL. I'll know pretty soon if I'm going to pick up the truck - I'll keep you in mind on the parts.

Black dawg

Reaction score
on a 90 the ecm is just for the trans. Did you test the voltage regulator?

sootman73

Reaction score
the power does go through the ecm but it shouldn't control anything related to the engine or lights...

just the trans...

i would go buy a aerosol can of electronics cleaner and atube of dielectric grease. and this may take a while and not be the easiest thing to do but i would take apart all the plugs and connectors(especially the "sealed" ones) and clean and grease them all. i had some weird electrical issues with my trans and this fixed it (although the damage was done)

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
the power does go through the ecm but it shouldn't control anything related to the engine or lights...

just the trans...

i would go buy a aerosol can of electronics cleaner and atube of dielectric grease. and this may take a while and not be the easiest thing to do but i would take apart all the plugs and connectors(especially the "sealed" ones) and clean and grease them all. i had some weird electrical issues with my trans and this fixed it (although the damage was done)

Thanks for the info - that makes more sense. You mean to pull the plugs from the ecm inself?

I'll do it tomorrow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online