Swapping e4od, how to flush lines?

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! A search didn't pull up much (maybe I need better search skills!).

I'm swapping transmissions to a rebuilt E4OD and a new Torque Converter too. It's for a truck I bought with a known bad trans, and sourced a new (refurbed) trans.

I've pulled the pan and drained the fluid (wow, what a mess!) And found a TON of metal shavings, no surprise there. I'm about to drop the trans, but I know there's a ton more fluid up in there, specifically in the cooler.

My current plan is to hook up low pressure compressed air and blow out the fluid. Will that do it? If so, do I hook to the top line or bottom line? I'd think top line to back flush, or do I have that backwards?

Lastly, any specific recommendations on fluid type? We're in NW Montana, so -15*F isn't uncommon. Won't be towing heavy, just use as a farm truck.

Thanks all!

Here's a photo of the magnet in the bottom of the pan.

You must be registered for see images attach

And here's the truck it's going into. Not bad for $1200!
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF it was running....Pull the bottom\ return line let it pump into a jug, keep pan full and go for clean fluid.

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy a cheap a/c flush gun that is powered by compressed air and fill it with mineral spirits, that's what my trans guy recommended when he did mine. I have also bought a cheap electric fuel pump and used it to pump clean solvent thru the lines until it comes out as clear as it goes in. The magnetic inline filter is a good idea too but personally I used a spin on external filter pilfered from a u haul truck when I swapped from a c6 to an e4od on my '86 f350

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
IIRR think they make a trans flush kit.
If it's the type with an aerosol can of cleaner, I've seen that not work. I can't say if it was used right or even if there should have been several cans used. I haven't done this so I don't have any personal experience.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever method you use, make sure you install a return line filter.

I don't see the harm in flushing the cooling lines but don't let that convince you that you're completely safe; return line filters are cheap compared to swapping a trans. Also, if you have a parallel flow cooler, it can be nearly impossible to properly flush every row. This is the same problem with reusing parallel flow A/C condensers.

The sludge isn't such a big problem, but any one of those metal chunks can ruin your best laid plans.