Surging

Postmark

Reaction score
Put 500+ miles on today in my IDI Turbo, and it was acting kind of weird. At highway speeds, it would feel kind of like I was either fighting a headwind or pulling a heavy load, and randomly it would have this burst of power. The rpms didn't really change, but it would just take off. Haven't had time to check it out yet, wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Check your fuel filter, I had the same thing happen after buying fuel at a brand new service station in nevada one time. Luckily the truck finally died in front of a holiday inn express and 1 block from the ford dealer in a little tiny town.LOL The fuel filter element was black! I bought two filters and switched em out again when I got home.

Postmark

Reaction score
I'll check the filter, but with 205K I'm leaning towards the pump. I didn't notice any smoke though, like I said haven't had time to dig into it.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Check/change the filter first.

Air intrusion will give the those symptoms too. There are at least a couple of threads here about that phenomenon and the theories of what causes it.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I'm guessing your injection pump if it has 205,000 miles on it :p mine surged and had bluish white smoke. That's where I'm placing my bet haha, your injectors could probably use some replacing to.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check fuel pressure at schrader valve on filter head, should be steady around 5psi.

Postmark

Reaction score
I finally got around to wrenching on it, it was the lift pump. The injector pump must have been siphoning the fuel on it's own. It's like a new truck.

DuRolf

1989 Ford E 350
Reaction score
I had the same problem today driving my 1989 E 350 to work, lagging then surging. Then it go to when I couldn't do over 40mph. I stopped at a parts store en route and replaced the fuel filter, but no change. The motor stalled several times during the 100 mile drive, but always restarted. I had no colored smoke from the exhaust, and when it was running the motor sounded smooth and without misfires. The motor is just two years and maybe 10K miles since a rebuild with new lift pump.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had this very same issue today.
i looked down, and BAM!
outta fuel!
quick fix.

DuRolf

1989 Ford E 350
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That is my lift pump. The single hose clamp is the intake side from the fuel tank. This looks wet enough with diesel that I think it would explain my max speed of 40 mph and frequent stalls.

DuRolf

1989 Ford E 350
Reaction score

From a little further away.

drops of diesel on the cross member.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member