Super Duty axle swap Questions

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little west of Austin but I got the 01 rear 10.5 with the 3.73s just because the tires on it are worth more than I paid for it.

Looking into the coil swap, as well as what others have said about them and am seriously considering doing that down the road. Are y'all using kits to put yours in or just fabbing as you go?

I'll continue to research it but so far what I've gathered is that the rsk will offer better ride quality than the coils until you do the 4 link upgrade. Which as of right now just the kit just topped $3,000 not including the new axle.

At the moment it looks like I might just try and re gear and seal the front along with the rsk and revisit the coil idea once I get my other truck back on the road.

I swear I can feel my wallet getting thinner with every new post.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As @ifrythings said, almost everything factory off the 05+ frame/suspension can be used with drilling and hardware. If you go to a kit, that does add to cost a good bit.

I’m not sure about the RSK vs coil ride quality (I think they are comparable), but I know with the coils, you will get tighter turning radius, bigger brakes, etc. Only downside is 17”+ wheels must be used because of the size of the brakes.

Honestly, the cost of a gear swap and RSK components could easily add up to more than the coil swap that includes the price of the axles.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the stock-style tapered leafs for ride... RSK or not. I had this style made for my Dodge.

3.73 and 4.10 are readily available in the 05+ axles. 3.73 seems to be the more common with diesel, and 4.10 with gas. I have a set of 07's in 4.10 that will hopefully go into my 1stgen crewcab build.

There's direct-replacement 1550 shafts for all the 05+ F250/350 width D60s. Part #'s 10013778 and 10013781 (Dana/Spicer)

Mammoth73

Reaction score
Well that certainly makes it easier. I guess I'll start looking for a front out of an 05+ or a guess 13+ if I can find one cheap.

At this point y'all think it's worth trying to utilize the rear off the 01 or would I be better off selling it and doing them from the same year?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
At this point y'all think it's worth trying to utilize the rear off the 01 or would I be better off selling it and doing them from the same year?

Depends. The 05+ rear diff is a touch wider and bigger brakes. Flange instead of yoke on the pinion. There were other changes as the years went on... such as fatter pinion shaft, finned aluminum cover, and electric locker at some point. 3.31 ratio enters the picture too (6.7L trucks?)

The older rear axle would still work... but if you have to change the ratio to get your match, why bother?

Mammoth73

Reaction score
It's got 3.55s in her now, I was hoping to go 3.73 which is what the "new" rear is and look for that on the coil sprung one.

That's a little disappointing on the wheels tho, I've only got 12k on my current tire and wheel setup and those duratracs ain't cheap.

Also, would it make a difference if it's a 250 or 350?

Mammoth73

Reaction score
I might actually just end up saving those 1 tons for my half ton project so I could still use the tires. Which would be awesome, but still means I need 4 new tires and wheels...

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's got 3.55s in her now, I was hoping to go 3.73 which is what the "new" rear is and look for that on the coil sprung one.

That's a little disappointing on the wheels tho, I've only got 12k on my current tire and wheel setup and those duratracs ain't cheap.

Only differences that I know of between SRW f250/f350 would be spring rates and maybe rear block thickness. Everything else should be the same.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, Mammoth, I’d be glad to make you a deal on what I have and put it on a pallet for you, but you may be better off finding some near you. John Scheel of Kingsland, TX (business name, Absalute Diesel, yes that’s spelled right) gets these axles fairly often, so you might could get some from him.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score

Odd... Duratracs were one of my cheapest options for a 35" load E tire. How tall are you going? You might want bigger tires anyway. And that will eat up anything you were hoping to gain going to 3.73. 4.10 would be the better route... oh hey... OBS diffs come in 4.10 too, and 95-97 D60s have improved brakes. ;)

F250 and 350 front diff (2005+ style) would be the same except a DRW would have hub extensions bolted on. Even the BOM on my '07 diff decodes to "F250/350".

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, around here, superduty metric wheels are a dime a dozen. 8x6.5” wheels are much harder to find.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd... Duratracs were one of my cheapest options for a 35" load E tire. How tall are you going? You might want bigger tires anyway. And that will eat up anything you were hoping to gain going to 3.73. 4.10 would be the better route... oh hey... OBS diffs come in 4.10 too, and 95-97 D60s have improved brakes. ;)

F250 and 350 front diff (2005+ style) would be the same except a DRW would have hub extensions bolted on. Even the BOM on my '07 diff decodes to "F250/350".

DRW is also Dana 80 for the rear and 8x200 lug pattern.

F450/550 is even more different.

SRW are mostly same, though other than various spring rates, often determined by what engine.

Mammoth73

Reaction score
So I've found a 60 off an 04 w/3.73s for $400. Comes with springs and steering if I pull it.

Dude says he's got one from an 01 350 as well. I really liked the idea of coil sprung up front but people out here are way too proud of their 60s. Couldn't find anything less than 600 for the worst ones not counting steering and buckets etc. and I'm not in a position to sit and wait for the perfect deal.

So I decided the spring and shackle upgrade oughta keep me happy for now. Since I don't plan on going much bigger on tires I'm hoping I'll like the 3.73s vs the 3.55s in there now.

Y'all know if there is any difference between the 01 d60 vs the 04? Both are off 350s w/3.73s.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 04 does not have coil springs. These came later (I don't know when). They should be the same axle housing.

Mammoth73

Reaction score
Ya that's why I'm debating on the two leaf sprung ones. I've abandoned the coil spring conversion for now. Coil springs started in 05.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online