summary for the new guy...

Hambone

Reaction score
I am new to the site and I just bought a 6.2 because i got a good deal plus i like the motors and its a 3/4 suburban with 16,000 orig miles. But in reading the last 2 pages of posts has me wanting to sum up some preformance questions ( i understand any advice given out could damage my motor and i give out no blame to anyone).

1. I have gathered that i need to run 2 pyros and a good water temp gauge before any upgrades. Would running 3" duals keep exhaust cooler at all?

2. In what ways can i upgrade the stock cooling system?

3. Im thinking of running 6.5 injectors since i need to get the 6.2's redone? (is it worth it since i need them anyway, what are the benifits)?

4. How and Y would running 6.5 heads help preformance?

5. Just how much can the pressure screw be turned up before meltdown occurs? (i figured i should ask the guys who have it done already)

6. Just how much can i advance the timing for an early burn before melt down?

7. With all this i will need more air in to my 6.2 (any good intake ideas)?

robert wyrick

Reaction score
What year model suburban do you have? you can do the 97 and up cooling mods. For adjustments on the fuel the pyros will let you know if it is too much. The 6.5 injectors just have a higher pop off pressure and a different spray pattern, but they will work. Don't really know why the 6.5 heads would give more power. My guess is it increases displacement and therefore gives more power. Getting air in depends on what intake you have. if its a c code the the egr restricts air. the way to solve this is to get a j code intake. It has no egr in the intake which has more room to draw air. for more questions give more information on your vehicle. year model mainly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belated welcome to the site;Sweet
there's actually seven different versions of the 6.2/6.5 heads out there. But only the 6.5 turbo head is still being made NEW....yup NEW;Sweet. There is no exterior dimensional difference between the 6.2/6.5, so the head is a bolt-on and run. Biggest issue this motor platform has is the cooling system, so cracked heads are not uncommon. Rather than fight with repairing the old ones, I order up the new and bolt and go. If you have a pre-92 burb, the updated cooling system will not work since the water outlet and the older AC compressor is competing for the same space. Don't ask me how I know-cuss

Hambone

Reaction score
88 suburban, 6.2 n/a, bone stock with egr and non serpentine belt system if that matters????