Stuck rings or ????????

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Maybe a dirty fuel filter? Truck has been getting some miles on her being my commuter, but leaving work today it ran rough, shook much more than usual and lacked power. It would almost die if I didn't baby it in 2nd. No starting in 2nd either. It has 4.10's too, so starting in 2nd is usually pretty easy. I've been driving 90 miles round trip monday through friday, usually at about 60 mph. I even got 21 mpg the other day. :sly

So what do you think fuel filter or rings?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
If you worried about your rings, pop your oil fill and look at your blowby. Is it excessive?

You're not going to go wrong replacing your fuel filter. So start there, but if it's fuel starvation, you may also want to look at your lift pump as well.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Probably plugged fuel filter, that would be the first thing I'd check, I get about the same mileage and have been making the same commute for 10 months, I wouldn't think that would burn up the rings.. Also maybe a locked up accessory on the belt setup, my ac compressor locked up and did the same thing.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Have You been running the engine with any fuel other than diesel?
Replacing the fuel filter is about the easiest and safer thing to do, have You changed it recently?
You can always run a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel filter head and You'll know if the lift pump is pushing enough fuel at idle.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I picked up an extra quart of atf to replace the fuel filter and maybe clean a clogged injector, open to the hood to do the deed and see half the engine bay is soaked in diesel. The number 7 (I think, driver side back) injecter line is leaking like a seive with the engine running. I think I will just try to remove, clean, and replace. It is only leaking where the line goes in to the nut. Here's hoping.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Well, clean and replace was not good enough. It still leaks. Luckily I have a spare set of lines I can use, though I'm not entirely sure it's not the injector.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing the injector does should cause it to spray out of the top? Maybe return line? Also, did the ferrell on the line look okay? How about where it seats?

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
For some reason I didn't think about the cap. I will go swap one out now. Also been running straight diesel (with diesel kleen) on this filter which is less than a couple thousand miles old.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Let us know hoW the cap swap goes. Cheapest first, in the words of my dad, free first, then trade, then buy, free preferred.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the cap didn't do the trick. I will have to swap out the set of lines with a new set that I have. I just didn't want to use them until I put my baby moose on.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
It seems to be running worse than every now. It foams at the top of the injector line nut. I would guess this mean injector stuck open and those are from exhaust gases. The shaking is rediculous. Here's to hoping I make it home tonight.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if it was stuck shut instead of being stuck open that would make it push up out the line.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the injector line gets scalding hot to touch, the injector is stuck open. If this is the case with your truck, I would recommend not driving it at all until until replaced. Even leakers can cause excessive heat in the chamber and cause things to melt, like I experienced with a glowplug a few weeks ago....which means a stuck open injector can turn a v8 idi into a v7 very very quickly LOL.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
oddly enough, I had to call it quits, put the air clenaer back on, then start it up and go home and it's fine! I don't know ***! lol

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an injector stick open or closed on me once, whichever of the two makes them super hot. Happened 1/4 way into crossing a long bridge and sounded first like a slipping belt or a dying bearing in an alternator, got real loud then stopped completely. It reeked of diesel after a couple minutes. I was sweating pretty good following the two maddeningly slow vehicles in front of me over the bridge hoping I could at least coast to the other side and see what happened.

I made it to an open area to pull over and smoke started coming from the engine bay. I opened the hood and the injector had gotten so hot it melted the plastic cap and the molten plastic had made its way through the return line to the next injector cap and cooled there plugging that one as well. The diesel smell was from where the first return line melted off the first cap and return diesel was landing on the engine. It scared me pretty good.

Believe me injectors are something not to be ignored on these trucks. I have a complete new set of injectors now and I feel much better about it.

If you have the time and ability you might want to get your injectors pop tested, because this might come back and bite you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online