"Stuck" in Low Range

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
A buddy of mine is using my truck to pull a piece of equipment (constructin debris grinder mounted on a 4 wheel carriage) out of a mudhole. It performed the task admirably in Low Range, but he just called and is having a problem getting the transfer case to move out of low range.

He has backed it up a couple of times and so far to no avail. Trans in neutral with clutch all the way in.

Any ideas gents?? :confused:

Thanks!

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Now unstuck.

Doesn't get much Lo Range use. Trick to unstick was to put in 1st, ease out on the clutch while pushing the transfer case lever to the left and forward--out she came!!

Mayhaps this will add to the lexicon of sometimes needed knowledge.

:)

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My T-case did the same thing, what I found was the hole in the case where the shift rod goes in was egg shaped and let the cam inside drop. No easy fix, had to take case to machine shop and make a bushing for the hole.

Good luck

Jim

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Chances are yer's is just rusted up. The 88-'91 use an exposed lever arm that will lock up if not used regularly. On the '88, I couldn't get in to N or 4L at all.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just gonna copy and paste from somethin' I had posted on FSB.

Success!

Got the dang thing out. Had locktight on it with heavy rust.

First used a 1/2" drive 15mm socket to break loose, then used a box end wrench a million times to get the thing a half inch out.

Got a new toy to finish the job!

I drove it in a little bit and then reversed quickly and it drew the bolt right out.

This was the then rusty shift arm that I had to hang on to come out.

I then used a die grinder to take off the rust.

Rusty mount

Had to bust out the dremel to get down in there best as I could.

Shopvac and a magnetic screwdriver took care of all the greeblies down in there and I covered the whole deal in grease. To put the shifter back in I used a little mirror on a stick to line up the hole and then spreaded some antiseize on the threads. Slipped right in and used the new toy to drive it home.

No more need for ***** slapping, :doh0715:, as the shifter can now be treated like a fine woman... :thumbup

Adrianspeeder

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Thanks for the lesson. I suspect you may be correct. Since coming out of 4-Lo the that first time, it has smoothly gone back and forth. May have knocked the accumulated scale off.

Will put a linkage defunking on the list for when I slide the D60 in sometime this Spring.