Strange Leak from top of injector line!!!

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, got an 86 F250 6.9 ATS Turbo, with newer injection pump and injectors(Pensacola) with about 2500miles on them and today I was driving home an suddenly had a very potent smell of diesel and the motor acted as if it wanted to die at low RPM's. My first thought was air intrusion some were, but when I got home and popped the hood, my number 1 cylinder on driver side, closest to the rad(or 4 cant remember which side is what number) is popping fuel out between the steel/hard line and the 5/8's caps that go onto the injector. And its actually spraying out(about 8+ inches) and with the exact firing order of the injection pump. I undid the stock intake so it breaths right from the aluminum box that houses the air filter. The rough idle was from the diesel being spit into the intake. Im thinking clogged injector????? or?????? I tried tightening the cap but it was already tight. What do you guys think would cause this?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like one of your injection lines just failed. It will have to be replaced. Injector is more than likely alright.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were would I find the fuel line? I cant seem to find them online.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are dofficult to find. Ebay sells them individually. Next would be your local auto wrecking yard.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I wonder has anyone ever tried to make a braided line kit?

I don't think it would work b/c as I understand it, the length of the lines is critical to keeping injector timing. Since these engines use pop injectors, the only thing that makes them fire is the pulse of fuel from the IP, which has to arrive at just the right time. Even minute differences in line length would throw your timing all off. Not to mention the substantial pressure they have to withstand.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any option for a fix or temp fix? I need the truck and dont have a ton of time to hunt around or wait on shipping?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That line you found on ebay is most likely to put in between fuel filter head and injection pump inlet. It will not work for an actual high pressure fuel injection line. I do not know of a temporary fix. These are precise high pressure fuel lines.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol ya I would never use something like that unless I really needed to lol guess I had better start hunting for a new line/s

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be best to replace your lines when they are needed. Just my opinion here. These fuel lines sure are expensive.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Junk yard is the way to go.

When I got my current truck, it had a brass plumbing "repair" on the #4 line, and a bad miss at idle because of it. Luckily I had another set of lines off of my old 6.9. So what if I don't have a timing adapter now, it was cheaper than a $400 set! (7.3 lines would work also, just do the whole set)

Jmackk said:
What do you guys think would cause this?

Does your truck have all four line clamps installed? Are the rubber inserts in good shape? Otherwise, stuff happens sometimes.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4??? I thought there was only 2 clamps, 1 on each side?:frustrate:frustrate Guess I know what caused the leak, hahaha better start looking for those to. And the rubber in the ones I have is in good shape.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you cant find any near you go into the market place on the fourm, you could pm gonecrazyi I think he may have some he could sell you.
They need to be the same lenght, to po of my truck made his own line it was about a foot longer than it should have been the truck ran horrible, just get the
right thing and not have to worry about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online