Straight pipes

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I know your in Ky but you need to remember that if it is not turboed there are laws against straight pipes. I know that in my county the jp court will hit you for about $700.00 in fines for the non turbo straight pipe. not saying i wouldnt do it but I also have a badge that gets me a little professional courtsey

weird, here in PA there's no laws on emissions or exhaust if it's diesel.....;Sweet

-Jon

tkremer

Reaction score
I am very new with diesels my dad gave me his 88 f250 4x4, cause he went out and bought a 05 powerstroke..just wondering what exactly what IDI and N/A means? I dont think mine is turbo, can it be made a turbo?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I am very new with diesels my dad gave me his 88 f250 4x4, cause he went out and bought a 05 powerstroke..just wondering what exactly what IDI and N/A means? I dont think mine is turbo, can it be made a turbo?

IDI stands for In-direct injection. Basically there are two types of ways to inject a diesel with fuel, either in-direct or direct. In a direct injection diesel, like powerstrokes and Duramaxs, a fuel injector sprays the fuel right on top of the piston. In a in-direct injected diesel, like our IDI's, diesel fuel is injected into a pre-chamber in the head, and then the burning fuel goes down into the combustion chamber. Somewhere on here there is a picture of a head chopped in half (thanks to Typ4) and shows the prechamber and everything.

N/A means Naturally Aspirated, or no turbo/supercharger. You can buy turbo kits for our IDI's, or if your lucky you can buy a factory turbo IDI (offered in 93-94.5 model years).

Here in Oregon it doesnt matter if its straight piped or not, it just has to pass a dB test, or thats what I've been told. I know in some small towns in the Cascades, there will be a sign saying no straight piped equiped vehicle engine braking or you will be fined.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We've got some great Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) listed at the top of this forum and a lot of great how to's in our tech articles section. Give them a look over for a fast education. ;Sweet

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Yes a straight piped IDI sounds just like a chevy 350 with open headers. I have a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter up by the tranny then I used to have it dump off to the side right (almost) under the cab. VERY loud when you drove next to another car or building. Now I have 3.5" going up to 5" stacks, still very loud & rattles things but I love it! Never been pulled over & I'm in town alot.
You must be registered for see images attach