STOP THIEF!!! What you would do to make your IDI harder to steal...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brake pedal club is your best deterrent. everything else can be bypassed including all electrical countermeasures. i've stolen them all and if I can't steal it, I can tow it away for dissection later :D

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part don't leave anything in the vechile, tools = window shopping for theivs, tinted glass makes it harder to look in.

Hidden line lock, brakes fully applied will be unmoveable even if they get it started, some kind of lock on the gas peddle and gear shifter

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Hidden Line Lock" NICE ONE, gotta research a bit, most line-locks I've seen are momentary, how about for a couple
hours? Good one Mr. I-Fry, haha.

TowCat speaks the truth, I've heard the same from two other professionals here, this is the model recommended:
You must be registered for see images attach

*notice how the "foot" piece is shifted over to the left/forward corner, that's the absolute longest the device can
be let out, and it won't budge from there...

Eric- yeah, I got a super-simple alarm, latest tech, the install shop down the block from my shop says it's simple but
really reliable. Audiovox makes it, and like you've pointed out and I didn't think about, they've been around a while, Canadian
I think, good products.

I want to mention that my Club Wagon in stock form had no hood lock, just a latch. I found a Locking Pull Lever (F-250, same
vintage,) and got it to fit with just a couple routing mods. Works really well. Planning on putting up a metal cover on the
few inches of cable that are exposed in front of the Radiator Support. With the hood now LOCKED, access to the batteries
is real hard, and the chance of reaching up inside from underneath and cutting power is not likely.

Guess I could have used a chain and padlock, but did that before, lost the key PITA to cut the chain...

I should mention something that happened years ago, I went outside to go to work and the entire two blocks I saw the hoods
of cars open. Someone stole all the batteries.:eek: Back in the 70's, the batteries were used to power hydraulics in low riders.
Wished I had a picture of that, I had a VW bug at the time, so I didn't get nailed, but really felt for my neighbors...

You got me thinking about LINE LOCK- here's an electric Line Lock (not affiliated):
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/electric-brake-line-lock-kit.html

plus I could do diesel burnouts in my van, :rotflmao;Sweetcookoo

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a inline fuel filter and also added a manual fuel shutoff before the water separator. Works great for doing fuel system work without fuel draining back. Also would work just fine if I was parked in a questionable neighborhood for theft safety. Only runs for a minute before it runs out of fuel (I forgot to open it after changing the fuel filters). If someone tries to drive off, they'll make it about a block, and if they found it, it's a PITA to get it primed and started again. No thief is going to put the work in for that.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention, another plus to manually operated glowplugs is that unless the engine is still warm from a recent start, the engine will take alot of cranking to get fired up without knowledge of how to work the glow plugs. Thinking most thiefs wouldn't want to sit there cranking a loud ass diesel for a while trying to get it to start.

zjspeedy

Reaction score
One of my friends used to be a car accessory installer. He installed a loud, high pitched car alarm in the vent system in the dash behind the steering wheel. Anyone who steals his truck will have hearing problems for several days.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^nice one.

Im ditching my entire stock ignition and going all standalone switches for ignition on, momentary GP, momentary starter engage, and a hidden FSS. There will be too many unlabeled switches for the perp to know what to do with it!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would need to run a brake line inside the cab then i believe.
I do like the electronic line locks..id want one for the front so I can put truck in neutral, ebrake the rear, line lock the front, get out and remote control the winch to pull someone/thing out without truck rolling away.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
As a solution to another problem, My first truck had the starter solenoid wired with a relay on a push button under the dash. Unless you knew to push that button while cycling the switch, the engine would not even turn over. If you pushed the button by itself, you only heard a click, not alerting you to its function. The only slight drawback is that you have to install a pretty heavy duty relay that will handle the entire 12v line load to the starter. Hide the relay and the perp will look elsewhere for wheels to steal.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt want to use an electric one for long term, that would kill your battery, as for short term ( burn outs) work ect. it would work.

Keep in mind also that technically all trucks that have abs can lock the rear brake by tapping into the wire for the isolation valve and you could either use it to set the brakes or disable them for play time. Only thing im not sure of is if the rabs valve can handle constant duty or not.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most thieves are stupid and lazy. That said, if they break into a vehicle, it is to steal something that they can sell quickly. Don't keep anything of valuable visible or make it look like it could contain valuables. As for an alarm, I would get one that has a pager alarm with a long range or if you have the money, a cellular alarm that will call you and that you can listen or look from a camera and mic. Want security on the cheap? Put lojack stickers on it.

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got to summarize some of the ideas:

-disconnect batteries (manual or switch)
-kill switch on IP
-tranny lock (electronically)
-transfer case lock (padlocked in "neutral")
-foot brake lock
-alarm (siren, high dB, popular brand, inside?:yell:)
-starter interupt
-phone app/lo-jack
-comprehensive theft insurance
-brake line lock (electric or hydraulic)
-tinted windows, false floor, compartments
-locking hood
-fuel line shut off (electric or manual)
-glow plug kill switch
-rewire/camo wiring/false wiring
-momentary "deadman" switch to sol/starter
-outside restraint (think "bike lock")
-stickers (Lo-Jack/alarm/tracking/Smith&Wesson)
-pager in silent alarm :backoff

This is growing, better ideas than I would have done, wow ;Sweet

Here's my buddy the Repo Guy, his rig is a very modified (kinda stock looking) Chebby:

He hits a few switches, and this tow arm unfolds, gets under two wheels, and he drags
the car to a "safe" spot, where he either drops it for a tow truck or straps the car down.

His rig also has cameras that "READ" plates, then sends the info to a shared database, (both
law enforcement and other Repo Guys...)

There's two cameras above, and two below, he doesn't have to watch them, they are automatic.
Once the thousands of plates are "run" he gets the data back on his computer:

(Which tells him where to go for the next one...)

So, pretty much this is what we are up against, (in the ultimate case)

This guy is pretty much unstoppable. When he talks about anti-theft, I listen...:sly

That said, the List above is ALSO for all the amateur/middle-level thieves out there, they are the most
common.

The items on this list are perfect and geared toward us IDI guys- "Slow/Distract/Discourage" these vermin!

FIGHT BACK! (with your smarts):kick:

Nothing says "DON'T MESS WITH MY RIG" better than a 'visible' deterrent,

"Go to the next guy..."

Just found out, as a business owner in good standing, I qualify for a CCW, but let's not get carried away...

Other ideas? Great ones so far!

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your buddy has some serious money invested in his rig. mime looks/smells/sounds like a old diesel towtruck. I just "act like I own the damn place" attitude when I'm stealing cars and trucks. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online