stock Trailer plug wiring

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has the (what I believe is stock) round connector in the bed of the truck. Ding a ling before me cut the wires and it's such a rats nest to see what he connected to them. So far, I have found 6 wires coming directly off of the plug itself. What are my best options to get this thing going? Looking to tug a trailer in two weeks and am sure glad I double checked everything earlyish.

edit: i guess a real good question would be, FROM the plug....where do the wires go? Do they have their own wiring harness back to the cab, do they plug into something somewhere, are they spliced somewhere etc.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I didn't think any trucks that early came with the plug in the bed factory. That's more for 5th wheel stuff.

But it should run down and connect near the bumper, at the junction.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your not sure what wires do what then get out your volt meter or test light and go to town. Toggle the functions one by one and see which wire gets 12v.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jasper, well i do have a dually with the 5th wheel :p

Basically i'm stuck to just hacking up the rest of the wiring then, great.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I have done in the past is pick up a T adapter that plugs in at the tail light harnes. That gives you tail light functions. Then a dedicated brake and power lead give you all the function wires. Then a ground to the chassis get you all 7. Typically, I've seen them with a bumper connection and a long jumper up to the 5er connector.

Hope that helps.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does help, my only concern would be where the T connects to at that point. It looks as though the idiot did something crazy with my tail light wiring. I actually have two female plugs not plugged into anything, and two bulb sockets *with bulbs still in them* lol that don't go anywhere, and the bulbs actually still light up. They're just tucked behind the bumper. I have one of those drop bumpers or whatever they're called, so besst guess is those were license plate bulbs.

I even found an extension cord ran from the battery to the rear bumper. Kid was crazy with wires. Along with about 50ft of wire coiled up inside the drivers side kick panel that goes no where. I think since I only need it to work for 1 trip, i'll just rig it up tying it into the tail lights with snap connectors. Once I pick up a new daily driver i'll tear apart all his wiring and start from scratch with everything. I have another thread coming up in a minute or two lol

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the connector even exists anymore where it splits off to the tail lights LOL. I look at the drivers side frame/bumper spot and it's a rats nest of wires, BAD. i'll take a picture sometime. Half of them are cut and i'm too scared to start pulling them out because I don't know what i'll disturb. There is a connector tucked up above the bumper bracket, but I haven't wiggled it down yet to see what it looks like or where it goes. Maybe that's the ticket.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah. May be best to just rip it out and start over. Shouldn't really take too long. Just do the taillight wiring first, then add in the trailer plug.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Sounds like you have quite a rats nest.

Sorry man.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that'll be the route I go. Once I get moved into the new house. For now, i'll just tie into the tail light harness and hope for the best. What a pain it's gonna be seeing as i on't have a trailer so i'll have to create some contraption with a light bulb for each wire to make sure it works lol.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They sell a tester that plugs in and tells you if its wired right. I don't think they are expensive. Most parts stores probably have them. A test light will do the job too. etrailer.com has schematics of the wire positions.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i seen one for 7$ but i didn't know what it did lol. It has the 4 pin straight plug with a probe on the other end.