Stock Lift pump vs Electric

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll put in a vote for electric, because as soon as I get everything for mine, it will have an electric pump too (going with a Carter P4070).

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, now that we have established that an electric pump is a good upgrade, I'll start a new thread to see who's running what and why along with do's and don't's for mounting them.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
You can look at how mine is mounted in my webshots... Its been that way over a year, and no problems. Give a shout to GenLightening, he has the in road on the pumps.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, now that we have established that an electric pump is a good upgrade, I'll start a new thread to see who's running what and why along with do's and don't's for mounting them.

Just do a search. There are litterally pages of posts here about different E-pumps, the good, the bad, the where to mount, how to wire, and so on. Tons of info is there for you.;Sweet

Heath

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, look at it this way, if we have good response to the new thread, all that info will be in one post, and not scattered over years of posts. Thats the only thing i don't like about forums (any forums), is that you literally have to read for DAYS sometimes to find all the info.

So this is an opportunity to collect all this knowledge and maybe even get a sticky if it's good enough. If you were the author of one of those previous posts, find it and copy the relevant parts into the new one and help to condense the knowledge that is in this forum into something that is WAY more useful than a couple hundred posts.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a better idea. Do you research, then write up a how-to for our tech articles section. This has been on my to-do list for a while, but just haven't had time to get to it. Lady Moose will be getting converted before next years IDI Weekend, so I was gonna write it up, but I'd just as soon see someone else do it. Take lots of pictures, keep track of your part numbers at Home Depot for the fittings or whatever, and why you decided on a particular pump. Write it up in Word, PM me and we will get it posted. ;Sweet

RockinB

Reaction score
I've got a Carter being shipped. I'll try to build in extra time for pix and notes during install. Anybody know the thread size going into the filter head? I'm thinking of bypassing the hardpipe altogether.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read here that some may have experienced the rubber hose collapsing on the suction side of the electric pump. You may want to use Nylon fuel line instead of rubber if replacing all the hard line. I have a combination hard line/ rubber to the FSV on mine so my longest rubber hose is maybe 1 1/2 feet.

Just a thought if your redoing it all.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes most electric pumps are better suited pushing fuel rather than lifting it up several inches or feet down line from the fuel tank. That is why almost every new vehicle with an electric pump actually has the pump mounted inside of the fuel tank.

That and so when it goes bad you have to take it to the stealership because you will not be able to figure out why the engine will not start because of all the computer BS.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a Carter being shipped. I'll try to build in extra time for pix and notes during install. Anybody know the thread size going into the filter head? I'm thinking of bypassing the hardpipe altogether.

I'm horribly bad with understanding/remembering NPT stuff. i think it is 1/4 or 3/8" NPT. Just get one barb of each. I think the Holley Red takes a 1/2" NPT. Not sure what the Carter would use.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey RockinB what Carter did you pick up?

Anyway the filter head has all 1/4" pipe fittings on it, note that the fittings the hardlines actually attach to are oddball fittings with o-rings and the like, but they attach to the filter head via 1/4" NPT fittings.

RockinB

Reaction score
P4594. I had looked at the various existing connections and decided to remove all OEM stuff between new pump and filter head. Loomed flex hose and barb fittings sound like a quick and semi-easy install. Thanks for the 1/4" NPT info. Currently planning for power via rocker switch on the dash, subject to change at any time though.

Note:NAPA carries the P4070 under their brand for 95.99 and the P4594 under there brand for 115.99. So if you have to have it tomorrow, and can spare the coin...