still stuck on transmissions woes

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ive come to the conclusion that my front plantary is missing a few teeth,

a rebuild e40d transmission is 2600 dollars, that i dont have and wont for awhile.

So what can i do, im trying to secure i place to work on it, but even if i brings the trans in its going to be 2k to do a rebuild.

Ive thought about manual swap but everything i looked up looks like its going to be a pita, i can get a full setup for about 500 everything to do the swap, i have the tools to do it, but if i did it id have one day tops.

I work 6 days a week and its sitting at my dads shop right now (carpentry not auto)

So what can i do, does anybody have a e4od just laying around thats 500 bucks? cause i cant find one for a diesel

Can i swap in gasser tranns like a e4od for a 460, anything like that. or how bout a c6?

IM running out of time i have a month and half before i gotta find somehwere else to put it, plus i haft to do work on my dads truck (what im driving for the time being)

I have a truck ill trade for it title in hand (not a idi but 96 f150)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
5 speed swap, not so hard, just get all the parts, and don't forget to factor $100-$200 for a longer driveshaft.
swap to a c6, not so hard (biggest problem is making the shifter bs), also don't forget the VRV.

Personally, I'd rather swap a zf5 in than try to rebuild an e40d in a carpentry shop.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rebuild E4OD for sale. Ford motorcraft rebuilt this transmission 15K ago and it ran perfect for the past two years. I just swapped in a ZF so this one is for sale, It is in good condition and the pics show. You can have it for much less than 2600, make a offer, it can be yours!!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
car-part.com and search for junkyards in your area if you just want to get it rolling for a decent price. Some junkyards I have delt with off of there will sell you a 1yr unlimited mileage warranty for $50 or so.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rebuild the transmission yourself. i have been through a few E40ds and there cake to rebuild.

rocketattack

Reaction score
I've rebuilt mine for $1100 in parts. The biggest cost was the planetary gears and the solenoid pack. I went from a 4 gear to the updated 6 gear. I got all my parts from TransStar. They were very helpful. It took me a few days to build it because I wanted to take my time, do it right and not have to pull this heavy beast out again. Plus pay for more parts that could get destroyed.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be sellin mine when i get all the parts for my swap.

Hey what part of Oklahoma?

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I say if you can sqeeze the time in, do the ZF5 swap! I will be doing it in about 2 weeks and I can't wait! If you're still needing an E4OD then, I'll sell mine cheap!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
rebuild the transmission yourself. i have been through a few E40ds and there cake to rebuild.

X2. Rebuilding the E4OD is like a C6 with a little more junk inside:D.

A little parts shopping and the ATSG manual will get you through it.
A couple of special tools are required. But you could fab them with a little creativity.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay just now getting off work, so ill reply to as many as possible here.

Its a 2wd, i live in tulsa right now, but im not a native of here.

i could probably rebuild it if i could find a place to do it. ive rebuilt and allison 1000, but never a e4od.

so where do i find parts and how do you do a 6 speed on it, and how bout a manual for starters.

Rebuilding it at my dads shop would be a no go, but one of the companys i work for might throw me a bone and allow me to use one of the owners personal garages, ones with sprint cars and drag bikes in it...

believe it or not im actually a diesel mechanic OTR actually, but thers where my 6 days go, just time and money right now.

But id give it a shot, if it doesnt work ive got a blown tranny again. but if ya go one for sale thatd work to

Think i answered all the questions but there maybe an edit

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
okay just now getting off work, so ill reply to as many as possible here.

Its a 2wd, i live in tulsa right now, but im not a native of here.

i could probably rebuild it if i could find a place to do it. ive rebuilt and allison 1000, but never a e4od.

so where do i find parts and how do you do a 6 speed on it, and how bout a manual for starters.

Rebuilding it at my dads shop would be a no go, but one of the companys i work for might throw me a bone and allow me to use one of the owners personal garages, ones with sprint cars and drag bikes in it...

believe it or not im actually a diesel mechanic OTR actually, but thers where my 6 days go, just time and money right now.

But id give it a shot, if it doesnt work ive got a blown tranny again. but if ya go one for sale thatd work to

Think i answered all the questions but there maybe an edit

You can find parts for the E4OD at any Napa auto parts joint.
You can use evilbay or www.transmissionpartsusa.com
You can find the manuals on ebay too.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well heres an update, i definately cant do it at my dads shop even in the parking lot, since the employee lot and customer lot are the same thing it looks bad on them.

Last tuesday i was planning on going to talk to the owner of the company i work for to try and see if i could work a deal with them, since they are pretty well known to work with the employees (ie buying tools for them, new ish cars, paying for stuff insurance wont etc) i figured id try my luck at a advance on a rebuild in trade for a few more hours at work or the very least a extra bay in the shop with the dirt track cars so i could do it myself.

Then disaster struck, i was in downtown with my GF out site seeing in tulsa, and as we were crossing in the cross walk (with the little walk signal) a car didnt seem to be stopping so she ran and so did i, i didnt quite pick my foot up high enough over the curb, and literally peeled the muscle and skin back from my big toe and shattering the tip of it. i had some sticches and wont be abck at work til friday and i wont be asking about it until sometime after that.

If that doesnt work, goes into me finding storage unit until i have the money or tax return time..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.