Still Smoking......and no Power

1SGschilling

First Sergeant
Reaction score
I replaced the lift pump in my 2001 Ram 24 valve, straight six deisel. I still have a problem.

After lettting the truck sit over night or at work, it fires right up, and "knocks" after 15 seconds she quites down, begins to smoke, won't tack up and has no power. It will do this for about 5 to 10 mins, and then she will kick in, and run fine. No smoke, knocking, power, however on the highway running around 65, for some reason she just begins to loose power and slowly dies when it feels like it. When this happens, I have to kick in the turbo just so it pulls itselfs.

Any ideas on what happening here?????

Thanks,

Scott

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you had it scanned for codes? if not, thats step 1. not all problems will throw a light, but will store a code. most likely its either a bps(map) or an injection pump.
could also be an aps.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
I hate to say it.... but I'd have to say it's your VP-44!!!! :puke: that's sure what it sounds like to me.if it's wanting to try to die when just running down the road! yep get it checked out ASAP. double check the codes for your specific year truck.... GOOD LUCK!!

need a Fuel Pressure guage ASAP as well... that way you can watch it and see for sure what's going on !

Batman

Reaction score
I agree with Headhunter, definately sounds like your injection pump took a dump

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeap... I got to agree with everyone here... It sound like the VP44 has taken a dirt nap on you...

I would check for codes... I would look for a ODBII reader or do the key trick.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar1973man/error_codes.htm

If you find a P0216 Code your VP44 is daed or dieing... But just listening to you problem I would say it's dead now...

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge too? If not I highly suggest you get one and test your LP pump for proper pressure...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online