Still fighting oil leaks...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder-
while you have the turbo pedestal removed from the turkey pan, make sure you have plenty of holes poked on the inside of the pan. Why? the original intention of the hole was to vent oily vapors, not serve as a drainback.
if you've already done so, forget I even mentioned it.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I thought mine was sufficiently ventilated when I installed the turbo, so I didn't poke holes in it as advised. It SEEMED fine for the first year the turbo was on there, but since it'll be off, I'll be sure to swiss-cheese it :D

I'm hoping to get hold of Ken at DPS today so I can order the pump and injectors and get going on this project. I suppose I can do the pump and injectors after the turbo drain fix, but I'd rather do it all at once.

Ryan

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Ryan

When I replaced the IP on Carla's truck, I took it to Central Motive to get timed. I only dealt with the service manager (I think his name is Marvin), but he assured me they set it dynamically around 8.5. However since my timer is still not working, I can't verify. And they are expensive in my opinion (around $135 I think), but they're the only ones that would do it. I've been thinking lately that the timing could use some adjustment because it seems to be getting louder (cackle) and acts like its got more power, but it just won't make it. Maybe I'm just used to driving the new truck, but even Carla says the same thing.

I need to get that darn timer working!

Note to self. Look for valley pan grommet in the morning!

Tom

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIXED!!

Removed the Turbo, the IP and Injectors today to fix the leak and install the new parts. Found the turbo pedastal drain grommet torn badly (almost in half), and tons of oil built up around it.

I found a replacement grommet locally at Central Motive (the EXACT ATS grommet). I bought 3 for $10 just to be safe. Spent the afternoon cleaning up the valley pan and installing the new grommet with the turbo pedastal. I added a little Toyota black FIPG to the seal- we'll see how that treats it.

Tomorrow I get to install the new IP and Injectors and time the sumbitch. Pics and results to be reported tomorrow.

Ryan

SKimballC

Reaction score
Very nice! I can't believe you found not only one of those grommets, but 3, you dog. I looked all over for one of those a while back to no avail.