Steering shaft issue

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well as this luck may go, the few remaining items that didn't get redone on "Operation Gold Digger" are begining to show wear.
Yup can do a 90 degree turn on the sterring wheel with no turn of the front wheels.:eek:
So while working on my latest mod, I decided to take a look and see what's up with the slop.
Slop it was. enough play in the steering shaft that would make any grown man turn pale. Apparently there is a spring steel band between the 2 shafts that maintain tension and keep things taught. Well not so in this case. The piece went awol and has allowed the inner shaft to rotate and was beginning to wear the outer shaft to the point that the inner shaft could almost rotate freely if given enough time.

Sooo off to my local parts store I go. Seems that they don't carry the steering shaft assembly and is a Ford item only. Well what's next I ask.
It seems that they carry Borgerson parts so we goobered up the shaft and got all of the dimensions to build a stainless steel double u-joint steering shaft for about 175 clams.

Part numbers we ended up with are:
BRG 013449 Top joint
BRG 409212 for the 12" shaft
BRG 113418 Lower joint

So anybody needing to do a replacement here ya go!;Sweet

Attachments

• DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    845.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Borgerson joint replacement steering should be sweet, give us some pics when you are done.