steering column woes

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had an issue come up with my shifter last week and today i started taking the column covers off to inspect. well not finding any damage. the problem is the shifter don't want to control the transmission. if i try and change gears i was able to move between drive netural and reverse, now i can't get it out of drive with the shifter. when i pulled the covers tonight i could not find anything broken. when i went to start the truck after this i could not get the ignition tumble to advance past the run position. i can start the truck by jumping the relay.

what am i missing? is this a common problem?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to have a good look at the linkage going from the column down to the gear selector on the transmission. If all is well there, the mechanism in the transmission may be *****.

Heath

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heath i checked the cable from the column to the transmission and found not issues the bracket that the cable bolts to at the trans is intact and not damaged.

so now im back to the column. going to drop it out at lunch today and see if i canget a better look. i feel like the shift tube is the likely suspect due to the face that i can shift the gears by grabing the end of the shift tube where the cable attaches and twisting.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks again heath i'll check that first. i've never really got into working on steering columns not my area would rather be up to my elbows in BLACK diesel oil.

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
could it be the transmission bar/shifter itself? you could disconnect the linkage and see it goes to all gears easily. If so, then back to the column diagnostics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online