steering column broken please help

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend my steering column suddenly broke, seemed to me like the tilt broke cuz I could just move the steering wheel up and down. Took it apart today and discovered the casting that has the bearings in it and the tilt stuff attached to it is broken all apart. Is it possible to buy that part anywhere or is it gonna have to be a salvage part?

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There you go ! Now the guys that know what the heck they're talking about will be able to help you !

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your column is manual since you have a ZF5, wiring connections are different.
Don't know where you can get the parts other than a JY. But the reason it broke is someone has been using the steering wheel to pull themselves up into the seat with the column tilted in the far up position.

I don't see your part, but you might call them.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...24200,steering?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/

Last edited:

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I use it to pull myself into the truck but the steering wheel is never in the far up position, it's kept where the column is pretty straight out, there's really no point in it having a tilt cuz I don't use it

I seen the part on lmc truck earlier, but wasn't sure if it was worth buying from them cuz they want like $200 for it

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Option - get a whole non-tilt column from a junkyard truck (or one of the junkyards that advertise on eBay). Might ultimately be less work, and you won't have it to worry about anymore.

NB - you might consider steps, running boards, or even those grab handles, either on the exterior B-pillar or the interior A-pillar.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have grab handles on the outside of the truck just in front of the extended cab Windows but they are odd to use for getting in the truck. Never was fond of steps or running boards

I have a friend that says he can get me a starting column for about $30 so hopefully getting the part is solved now