Stealth front receiver installed

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About a year ago I bought a reciever for ten bucks at a garage sale. I have been planning to cut it up and mount it on the front of my truck, but I had to move the bumper up and out to clear the latest wheels and tires.

After lots of modifications to the stock mounting hardware and trimming a little bit of the bumper, I finally got it mounted. I put a folding license plate bracket from a 71 Impala over it so it's completely hidden when it's not in use.

I am pretty happy with the finished result. I didn't spend much money (less than 20 bucks actually) and although I haven't used it yet, I have used a front hitch on another rig to sneak a trailer into a tight spot.

Attachments

• 101_1507.jpg
    101_1507.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 101_1509.jpg
    101_1509.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 101_1510.jpg
    101_1510.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 42

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet install
i built mine into a brushgaurd you dont notice it too quick but when you do you ask why so strongly built
but i love mine its also great for pulling out youre idiot buddies when they get stuck so you dont gotta back in
also you might wanna look into a hitch step makes work easy

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you have a RV or not, but a lot of RVrs put a bike rack up front to haul their bikes. Another option for it since you got it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but how's it mounted?

I have heard stories of people mounting these things to the radiator core supports and then having problems with the core supports... :(

Certainly looks cool ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Don't know if you have a RV or not, but a lot of RVrs put a bike rack up front to haul their bikes. Another option for it since you got it.

I've never thought of that, that's a great idea! I've got a front receiver on mine and that would be a whole lot easier than dragging an extra trailer behind the 5er. When we want to carry the kids bikes , it means hooking up a utility trailer behind the 5er because I have a mobility scooter that has to go too, but if I can stick bikes up front , I have an electric lift for the scooter that goes in the hitch on the back of the trailer. Without that extra trailer I don't have to worry about getting into spots where I can't backup ;Sweet

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a slick setup, I like the hidden aspect of the plate. That really looks good.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I might put one on just to use the step feature. I'm 6'3" and still can't reach everything I want in the engine bay. a step would be just the ticket, and I have wanted to move trailers (in very tight spots) from the front from time to time. This is just what I need, another project.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but how's it mounted?

I have heard stories of people mounting these things to the radiator core supports and then having problems with the core supports... :(

Certainly looks cool ;Sweet

I spent some time thinking about how I was going to mount this, and this isn't the final version, as it's ended up getting mounted higher on the frame brackets for the bumper. I've got a little more to do before I will pull it and fully weld everything, but it's pretty stought even as is.

Keep in mind that I wanted it to be very strong (front hitch mounted winch possibility) and I wanted to leave room for a front mounted intercooler should I decide to turbo charge my truck in the future, and I accomplished both of those goals.

In the end it was actually pretty simple.and I could draw up a sketch on how to make another one if anybody wanted to duplicate one. If you don't have a body lift and/or don't need to move the bumper up and out, it's a walk in the park. Two plates with some slotted holes for adjustment, a little welding and you'd be done.

Attachments

• 101_1504.jpg
    101_1504.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 101_1505.jpg
    101_1505.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 55

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might put one on just to use the step feature. I'm 6'3" and still can't reach everything I want in the engine bay. a step would be just the ticket, and I have wanted to move trailers (in very tight spots) from the front from time to time. This is just what I need, another project.

I know ----- old thread.

Anyway, instead of one of those **** little hitch-steps, why not one of those big luggage carriers poked in the front, maybe with a custom-built deck to walk around on; thus, you could just climb around all over and not have to worry about missing that tiny step.

Another plan I have stashed away in the deep recesses of my mind is to put receivers at each corner and fix up some of those big goose-neck trailer jacks with receiver-tongues; thus, I could put things way up off the ground with just a bit of cranking; safe and solid too.