starts then dies

bullwhip

Reaction score
Just got this truck its a 92 f250 w/banks power pack no turbo. I put a new return line kit on the truck pressured up the diesel tank to make shur to get the air out of the system then hooked the last part of the return line up. Turned over for a min then started rite up. Then it tried to die played w/ the throttle and keped it running but when I tried to drive it it died so holding throttle wide open after a min it wood start rite back up run for about a mmin then die again so this morn I took the line off the filter housing turned it over and wached diesel spray out halfway cross the motor. I hope its not the pump .. please help

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My list of suspects to check:

-Fuel filter
-Failing lift pump
-Broken fuel pickup in the tank
-Clogged inlet screen on the IP
-Dead IP

How long has the truck sat since last used/run? The IP could be gummed up with old diesel crud/residue.

Heath

bullwhip

Reaction score
the guy i got it from just told me he got the ip from the junk yard. he told me this after i spent $84 on tow new injectors 4 seals and 2 spray nozels $50 on a return line kit. lift pump is new and pumps good its got to be the ip thats all i can thank of. any body got an ideal how i can brang it back to life with out buyin $450 ip? oilburners is the best site on the web

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
After I re did the head gaskets on Miss Becky she would do this too, she did this for a few days until it all of a sudden just stopped doing it. Im sure after opening the fuel system you just got some air in there.

But then again it could be something different as well

bullwhip

Reaction score
The truck ran good for a week tho after that guy changed the ip. I was thanking of filling up the filter with some sea foam are diesel kleen. May it wood help

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
maybe some crappy diesel in the tank? trying running a line fromt he lift pump to a gas can and see what it does. maybe the filter is losing a prime. i had that problem with a wix filter it would hard start overnight on a wix filter always but putting on a carquest or another brand it would always fire up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle