starting problems

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The 05 in My sig is taking a little longer to start, checked the oil level changed the fuel filters (2) but it is still the same. What could make it take 10 seconds cranking to start? batteries are the ones it came with from the dealer (motorcraft) will this be the problem? What about the glow plugs, any way to test them?

Thank You for any help/tips.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
EZ, It could be the batteries..... I have not had to crank more the 3 or 4 on mine, even in the cold. The only time I had to crank longer was before the Inductive Heating PCM Flash. Once it starts how smooth does it run..... if it is fairly smooth I don't think it would be glow plug, because these do an "after glow" just like the older engines. I have not heard about the PSD's having glow plug issues like the IDI's. Check all the connections. I would also have it scanned if you have the ability and do a buzz and contribution test to make sure all the injectors are happy.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
They are the factory batteries so I would suspect them first, I have a scanner so I will connect it to this one. What is a buzz and contribution test?

Thank You.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The buzz and contrib tests, test the function of the injectors and how they are working... I think the contrib test is an engine running test...