Starting problems after sitting >48 hrs

GSF35099

Reaction score
My late 99' PSD has a very hard time starting after sitting more than 48 hrs. It initially turns over and fires right away then instantly dies. When I try and start it the next time it just turns over until I pump the peddle. I can hear the fuel pump run and do not try and start until it stops (shortly after the GP light goes out) with no change.

The service engine light would come on for about 2-3 seconds when excellerating.

I am a newby when it comes to working on the truck and have been following allong with many threads to try and learn all that I can and here is what has been done recently to date that still has not addressed the problem.

- Truck went to personal mechanic friend and he replaced
fuel filter
fuel drain valve assembly
- Fuel looked good

- Truck then went in to the Dealer
replaced IDM
replaced #1 GP
replaced harness under valve cover
oil change
Stealer found no problem with the injectors

Once the truck has been started, it runs great and there is no more check engine light coming on. As long as the truck is started every 24 hrs and driven for a short distance there seems to be no problem.

Temp outside seams to not make any difference. Issue happens when it is in the 80's for a week and then the same when high's have been in the 40's.. Got to love this Texas weather...;Really

My mechanic friend believes it might be an air leak in the fuel system some how, but we have been unsuccessful at finding it. Possibly an injector leaking air back in after it sets....:confused:

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas what might be causing this?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
check low pressure pump oil pressure
next time it dies pull the plug off the top of the hpop resivoir and check the level.
if it is low empty, chances are the low pressure(engine lube pump) is bad
allow it to loose its prime, hence when the motor is started it runs off of the oil in the resivoir then shuts off.
only happens when the sit for 2 or more days.
with the prober education the dealer shouyld be able to pick up on the problem with the scan tool.
Nick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle